Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vocal kitty

s&jdavis

Savannah Super Cat
So Zubi has warmed up now and is really going crazy with exploring and playing when we're around. And the entire time, he meows. I asked the breeder and she said it was something he did with her too. It wouldn't bother me except for making nap time for my small children difficult. Are there any tips for reducing the vocalness (is that a word?) or is it something I'm going to have to live with?

And there really isn't another room to put him in. Our house is set up really weird and the bedrooms are connected (w/out doors). The extra room has no a/c currently and the only other room in the house (besides the main living area-and I'm not ready for that yet!) is where the other cats and dog hang out.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's hard to say if the kitten is going to remain vocal. My suspicion is that he is calling for his littermates and the other friends he left behind when he moved in with you. I had a kitten go to his new home recently and his new owner tells me he is very vocal. This is just the opposite from how he was here, so I suspect once he settles in and bonds with the other cat in the home he will quiet down. It's very possible Zubi will do the same, but then he might just remain vocal if that is how he was at the breeder's. Does he quiet down when you hold him or cuddle with him?

s&jdavis

Savannah Super Cat
He does usually get quiet with cuddles and scratches. He mostly does it when he's not being petted and when he's exploring.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
So the breeder says he was a continual meower at their place too? Then I suspect you just have a chatty kitty. It may reduce with time but some cats are talkers... would drive me crazy though! I'm surprised the breeder didn't warn you that the kitten you'd chosen was noisy though...

s&jdavis

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah, she didn't mention it when I asked about his personality :/. Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to know...oh well. He's wonderful anyway...we just won't ever be able to hide him ha! Like we would have been able to even if he weren't so 'chatty'.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That seems an important personality trait...as some have said sometimes kittens are very different in a new home than at the breeder... I've had ones I have warned about being chatty and them not being so at all. Or ones that were a little shyer than littermates but they've totally blossomed in their new home when not dominated by their siblings... probably like us humans that can be different in different environments or situations!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
My kittens are very chatty in their new homes. Once they settle in, they aren't so bad...but at first it is not unusual to lose a few nights of sleep.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My talker, D, does not talk during snuggle time. He also does not talk during snack time, dinner time, nail clipping time, or nap time. Any way you could convince your new baby to participate in one of those activities while your kids nap?