Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

vomiting after dry food but not wet?

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
For the past week, whenever Cyro consumes any amount of dry food, he looses it after only a few minutes. The wet food stays down fine, though. I took him to a vet, he had x-rays, and they thought it might be that he had an intestinal blockage ... also, he had some dehydrated duck foot in his stomach still, so they thought that might have irritated it? It is around the time I gave him his first one ... any ideas for another type of safe chew toy?

The blockage was ruled out by no food for 24hrs and more x-rays, he was on wet food only for a few days, they did blood work in case there were maybe heart worms or an allergy to his first flea spot treatment I gave him, but they didn't find anything unusual there.

Tonight when he was okayed to try dry food again, same story. Poor guy couldn't keep it down. I even just gave him 1 tablespoon and watched him the whole time, thinking it was maybe because he was eating it too quickly, but he took his time with it.

Right now he's been eating Royal Canin kitten food (that's what his breeder had him on), and canned evo kitten food. Any brilliant ideas???

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
For the past week, whenever Cyro consumes any amount of dry food, he looses it after only a few minutes.
Right now he's been eating Royal Canin kitten food (that's what his breeder had him on), and canned evo kitten food. Any brilliant ideas???

I will not send you a bill for this brilliant idea -- stop feeding dry food :) There are a lot of reasons why the food may have begun to bother Cyro -- you can read here for some good info http://www.catinfo.org

John Popp

Site Supporter
Dry food is pretty fertile ground for bacteria and mold spores, so quite possibly that could be a source although I'm kind of curious as to how long the duck's foot went undigested. Dino eats the dehydrated duck and rabbits feet all the time and the only time he has ever yakked is when he ate about a cup of fresh oregano.

If Cyro is doing fine with the wet food, I'd stick with it and get the dry out of his diet. Too many reasons to avoid the dry food and both our kittens who I believe came from the same breeder as Cyro, never wanted much to do with the dry food they were being fed at the breeder.

Also, my apologies as I think I was the one that suggested the dehydrated ducks feet. Again, our boy and Witchy's crew does great with them, so I'd be surprised if that was the issue. Never know though, and Cyro must have been woofing down some big chunks of them if they were still identifiable as duck feet.

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
Dry food is pretty fertile ground for bacteria and mold spores, so quite possibly that could be a source although I'm kind of curious as to how long the duck's foot went undigested. Dino eats the dehydrated duck and rabbits feet all the time and the only time he has ever yakked is when he ate about a cup of fresh oregano.

If Cyro is doing fine with the wet food, I'd stick with it and get the dry out of his diet. Too many reasons to avoid the dry food and both our kittens who I believe came from the same breeder as Cyro, never wanted much to do with the dry food they were being fed at the breeder.

Also, my apologies as I think I was the one that suggested the dehydrated ducks feet. Again, our boy and Witchy's crew does great with them, so I'd be surprised if that was the issue. Never know though, and Cyro must have been woofing down some big chunks of them if they were still identifiable as duck feet.

They weren't exactly identifiable - they just looked like little pieces of bone. His dry food is old (about 6+ months). Maybe that's the problem? I've continued feeding both the wet & dry because it isn't quite as bad as feeding all dry, and it'd be more expensive to feed all wet. Plus, I work 8 hrs a day, and I like leaving a snack out for him during the day.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
His dry food is old (about 6+ months). Maybe that's the problem?

Could very well be. Six months is a long time to keep food even if it's stored in an airtight container in a cool room. Buying smaller bags may not be as convenient or economical as buying large ones, but it helps guarantee freshness.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I have to wonder...allergies can happen at any time, what is the dry food? Vomiting or projectile eruption? It doesn't sound like projectile because of the "bones" in the belly but you are ASSUMING duck toes, has Cyro gotten into something else? Sorry if too much info here but Eddie has left my GOLD chain in the litter box; a gold earring (he stole right off my ear)...& an ear bud from an mp3 player...go wet till the mystery bones are through.

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
I have to wonder...allergies can happen at any time, what is the dry food? Vomiting or projectile eruption? It doesn't sound like projectile because of the "bones" in the belly but you are ASSUMING duck toes, has Cyro gotten into something else? Sorry if too much info here but Eddie has left my GOLD chain in the litter box; a gold earring (he stole right off my ear)...& an ear bud from an mp3 player...go wet till the mystery bones are through.
He just starts licking his lips, tilting his head and chewing on either side, then just spits up a mixture of stomach acid and pieces of his dried food. Who knows what else he's gotten into - he likes to chew on everything, even though he should be past that stage at 7 months. I'm pretty sure the duck feet are through now, since they didn't show up on his last x-ray.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I wonder about the freshness of the food as well. You might consider purchasing a new bag, or trying a different brand, if you're set on keeping him on dry food. I'm not keen on the ingredients in Royal Canin Kitten: Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, chicken fat, corn, egg product, natural flavors, dried plain beet pulp, powdered cellulose, fish oil, vegetable oil - makes me want to gag just reading it! Consider finding a food that at lest has a protein as its first ingredient, preferably its first 3-4 ingredients.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I would seriously consider taking a break from the dry. It stops being economical when you are going to the vet for IV fluids and anti-nausea injections. Trust me. My little Mickey can't seem to distinguish between food and not-food, and as a kitten got himself VERY sick because he was allergic to an ingredient in his dry food AND eating all sorts of non food (buttons, 2 dimes, paper clips- the list goes on- if it fit in his mouth he swallowed it). He still can't seem to regulate portions for himself, he eats and throws up pretty frequently if we are not monitoring :(
By process of elimination we think we solved most of the problem- but i would not wish that on anyone!
If I were you, I would consider throwing away all open food, disinfecting the bowls and feeding area, and just feeding wet for a few weeks at least. All that throwing up is hard on the little guys, his stomach probably needs a break too. When Mickey throws anything up, we go to boiled ground chicken or turkey and boiled rice for a few days for all three, until he is obviously feeling better. Those are foods we know he is not allergic to. Fwiw, he is my expensive kitty. I just can't justify risking anything that will make him sick, and human grade organic food is a lot less expensive than the vet visits were.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It seems quite reasonable to think that the kibble you are feeding is the problem, either from being too old, or being unsuitable for your kitten either for the ingredients or because your kitten is intolerant to one of the ingredients... your choice would be to either try a new bag of this kibble, try a new kibble (which should be gradually introduced to avoid more stomach upset) or going to all canned/raw....