Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vomiting and not eating

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
I have an 11 month old F2, Echo, who started vomiting a day and a half ago. He threw up three times. I took him immediately to the vet yesterday. They did x-rays checking for blockage in the morning, and I brought him back yesterday evening to do more. It looked like it was moving through. He ate a small amount last night, and continued to drink. He did pee in his litter box. He has not eaten anything today and we are back at the vet. They are doing another x-ray, giving fluids, doing blood work, and giving him an anti-nausea medication. Is there anything else I should ask for? I didn't see him eat anything that could cause a blockage, but I don't know for sure.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
A barium swallow will show much more than a plain X-ray. Many swallowed objects just aren't seen on X-ray.

You can also get an appetite stimulant if an obstruction is ruled out.

Hope you get answers soon!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I also agree that a barium swallow is necessary to rule out obstruction. Did they do any blood work? There are other things that can cause nausea and vomiting such as pancreatitis, liver failure, poison, etc. Please keep us posted on what you find and how he does!

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
I also agree that a barium swallow is necessary to rule out obstruction. Did they do any blood work? There are other things that can cause nausea and vomiting such as pancreatitis, liver failure, poison, etc. Please keep us posted on what you find and how he does!

Yes Patti. They did that today. Everything came back in the good range. They gave him an IV tonight and anti-nausea meds. He actually just ate a little and is playing. We are scheduled to do the barium test tomorrow morning. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic. Their best guess at this point is a partial blockage.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
The x-ray didn't show anything for Loki's full blockage. So glad you are getting a barium test. Hugs and prayers your way.

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
Echo home.png The barium test found no blockage. He is now acting almost completely normal and eating. They are not sure what it was, but feel it may have been a virus that came with one of our visitors. They said the barium may also have gotten things moving, and the anti-nausea medication could be helping. Regardless, right now, things look great! I will continue to watch him closely.

Thank you for the support. I love this group!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am so glad to hear that he is getting back to normal! I imagine this has been an expensive ordeal, but I'm sure well worth being able to learn that he is okay and on the mend!