Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water/Vinegar for training? Opinions/Ratio

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have been recommended that when training is needed that a spray bottle works well on cats, but Savannahs since they like water to use a vinegar/water solution. My question, What ratio of Water to Vinegar is good. Too week and not effective, too strong and it could burn... Any opinions on how much is just right???

Kristin

Animal Communicator
What are you training for? I've never had to spray Zeddie, and I'm not sure putting vinegar in water is a very effective solution for discipline?

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
From the Breeder:
"No!" Time out, and The Squirt Bottle:Some kittens will try to play rough, biting or growling at toys. This is not a behavior to encourage. Firmly tell your kitten “No!” A firm tap on the nose may be necessary. A time-out session can also be very helpful. This is done by placing your kitten into their small room or into a crate/carrier for fifteen minutes or so. After a few time-outs, most kittens will understand that what they are doing will warrant punishment. Since they don't like confinement, behavior will be curbed.

We recommend the use of a squirt bottle to deter the kitten from things not allowed. Because many hybrids like water, a hint of vinegar added to the water will make it effective. Hybrid cats are very intelligent animals. Most will learn the difference between acceptable and non-acceptable behavior very quickly. So if you are consistent with your training, you will be pleased with the response. "

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I guess I just don't understand why vinegar is necessary. I find that positive reinforcement works best with Zeddie (each cat is an individual of course), and I try to see things from her POV. If she is on the counters, why is she on the counters? Are there dogs there? If so, then she is up there for safety. If not, she is probably bored so I pick up a wand toy and she comes running.
Door darting...well she doesn't do it but I have an extra door so I am lucky that way. She knows when I have had enough by the tone of my voice as well.
Time outs work for me, although I think Zeddie has been on only one time out ever.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I hope that Elsa is that way... Sounds like you have a great well behaved kitty... I am trying to be prepared, and following the guidelines from my breeder, at least until I get it all figured out... They say that since Savannahs like water that it is ineffective by itself, but a little vinegar will offer a deterrent as relating to this is bad and learn from it. I don't like the idea of spraying like that, but I figured that they know more than I do.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I am interested to see what the more experienced SV owners say. I think I've been very lucky with my little lady, we have an air tight bond

MM3

Site Supporter
From the Breeder:
"No!" Time out, and The Squirt Bottle:Some kittens will try to play rough, biting or growling at toys. This is not a behavior to encourage. Firmly tell your kitten “No!” A firm tap on the nose may be necessary. A time-out session can also be very helpful. This is done by placing your kitten into their small room or into a crate/carrier for fifteen minutes or so. After a few time-outs, most kittens will understand that what they are doing will warrant punishment. Since they don't like confinement, behavior will be curbed.

We recommend the use of a squirt bottle to deter the kitten from things not allowed. Because many hybrids like water, a hint of vinegar added to the water will make it effective. Hybrid cats are very intelligent animals. Most will learn the difference between acceptable and non-acceptable behavior very quickly. So if you are consistent with your training, you will be pleased with the response. "
If you read NAUGHTY NO MORE BY MARILYN she explains it all. She is not in favor of spray bottles.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Uh...I cannot remember who your breeder is John...tapping on the nose? Spraying with a spray bottle and adding vinegar...those are all negative reinforcements...as is time out...time out does not work on cats in my experience...and the bit about hybrids love water, so you add vinegar? That is a new one on me.

I would NOT do any of those things to my kittens...

And what do you mean by misbehaving?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Paige, I use time-out more as a cool off. I've only done it once, but Zeddie was way over stimulated by kids and action.