Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What age to neuter a sterile male?

D

Dantes

Duma's only about 4 months, so we have a little time...

But what is the optimal age to neuter him? As an F3 he's sterile, but I also am not interested in him spraying about the house, so the question of age is what's best for him.

This question came up tangentially on the ragdoll message board. Someone posted this: http://catvet.homestead.com/earlyalter.html

Thoughts?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Taj was neutered at 5 months...I know it is personal preference about early s/n..

D

Dantes

Taj was neutered at 5 months...I know it is personal preference about early s/n..
but on what should I be basing my "personal preference"? lol

I want him to stay just like he is today. Same size, same energy, same personality. He is perfect! But everybody has to grow up, and since there is no choice in that matter, I'd like him to grow up as healthy as possible.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I remember Cisco, my DSH being neutered at 4 mos old...

Pam, I can't remember where I read that early spay/neuter allows kittens to grow larger because of growth plate development...

Per Lausund

Staff member
Growth zones in long bones (legs!) close at the onset of puberty. Wait as long as you dare (and if he spays once or twice that will stop with castation.
p

K

Kronos

The earlier you neuter, the earlier the hormones are removed, so the growth plates don't necessarily fuse at the correct times which can in turn allow the bones to grow a little bit longer than if you had not neutered early. In dogs it is recommended to spay/neuter after the growth plates close unless there are marking issues that are untrainable. In cats I do not think we can train them not to spray, so most people do it before 6 months of age to prevent spraying.

Generally, animals that are s/n after growth plates close will have stockier bodies.

Both my cats were neutered very young. Solo around 10 weeks, Kronos at either 8 or 9 weeks.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I remember Cisco, my DSH being neutered at 4 mos old...

Pam, I can't remember where I read that early spay/neuter allows kittens to grow larger because of growth plate development...

I've heard that too. I believe Kelly S. knows quite a bit about it...perhaps she'll answer!

admin

Paige
Staff member
The earlier you neuter, the earlier the hormones are removed, so the growth plates don't necessarily fuse at the correct times which can in turn allow the bones to grow a little bit longer than if you had not neutered early. In dogs it is recommended to spay/neuter after the growth plates close unless there are marking issues that are untrainable. In cats I do not think we can train them not to spray, so most people do it before 6 months of age to prevent spraying.

Generally, animals that are s/n after growth plates close will have stockier bodies.

Both my cats were neutered very young. Solo around 10 weeks, Kronos at either 8 or 9 weeks.

That's what I heard - thanks Alisha...so Dr. Per does not agree with this ;)