Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What do they do in there?

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
We are fortunate to have an extra bedroom dedicated to the cats. They have a set of bunk beds, ottoman, shelves, bird feeder in the window, and a cat wheel to keep them occupied.
We have always put the cats in "their" room at night. Mostly because their nocturnal tendencies conflict with our need for sleep, but it just seems to limit the romper-room damage to one room...

The nice thing is that we just say "Bedtime" firmly in the evening and they race for their room. People don't believe it until they see it. The variety of noises, thumps, bumps, and crashes coming from that room at night would amaze you. I've always wondered what they are doing, but when I open the door they give the the "I didn't do it" look. We had a two week trip to Costa Rica, so I finally decided to install a camera I can watch remotely. When I get some footage saved I'll try to attach.

A few observations:

They filed an official grievance with the union right after installation, saying it's a violation of their right to privacy??

Loki uses the cat wheel much more than I thought. Now I know how the frame has been cracked, twice. Need to rig an odometer on it. Sometimes he jogs/walks at a slow pace for 5-10 minutes, and sometimes he races at max speed for 1-2 minutes.

Stoney eats WAY too much. He prefers dry food. When we feed them I close the door and watch. Loki doesn't eat right away, but then devours the chicken. Stoney goes back and forth, but eat most of the dry food.

Loki still tries to bury his food even though its hardwood floors in their room.

2:30AM is officially party time. For some reason their activity ramps up significantly, lasts about an hour, then a short rest.

Stoney pulls most of the toys out of the toy bin, piles them up, and lays on them.

They take turns watching out of the window at night - keeping almost a constant watch. We have deer and raccoons, and they get excited when something moves at night.

When I close the door Loki pulls on the knob within a few minutes to see if I've locked it - almost every time. Yes...he opens knobs, levers, and on occasion has dead bolted me out of the house.

They cuddle and groom much more in their room than they do in general population. Not sure why.

Loki stares at the camera and smirks like he knows I'm watching. If he could extend his middle finger I'm pretty sure he would.

DougRD

Site Supporter
Loki uses the cat wheel much more than I thought. Now I know how the frame has been cracked, twice. Need to rig an odometer on it. Sometimes he jogs/walks at a slow pace for 5-10 minutes, and sometimes he races at max speed for 1-2 minutes.
Haha. Been there and done that. I bought a digital counter on Amazon and set it up to count the number of revolutions. Darwin averages 1750 revolutions per day. This works out to approximately 4.2 miles per day.

I’ve been meaning to post a “How To” chat thread. Hopefully I will find time this weekend and post it. I will add a link here once it’s posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Val

Site Supporter
We are fortunate to have an extra bedroom dedicated to the cats. They have a set of bunk beds, ottoman, shelves, bird feeder in the window, and a cat wheel to keep them occupied.
We have always put the cats in "their" room at night. Mostly because their nocturnal tendencies conflict with our need for sleep, but it just seems to limit the romper-room damage to one room...

The nice thing is that we just say "Bedtime" firmly in the evening and they race for their room. People don't believe it until they see it. The variety of noises, thumps, bumps, and crashes coming from that room at night would amaze you. I've always wondered what they are doing, but when I open the door they give the the "I didn't do it" look. We had a two week trip to Costa Rica, so I finally decided to install a camera I can watch remotely. When I get some footage saved I'll try to attach.

A few observations:

They filed an official grievance with the union right after installation, saying it's a violation of their right to privacy??

Stoney eats WAY too much. He prefers dry food. When we feed them I close the door and watch. Loki doesn't eat right away, but then devours the chicken. Stoney goes back and forth, but eat most of the dry food.

Loki still tries to bury his food even though its hardwood floors in their room.

2:30AM is officially party time. For some reason their activity ramps up significantly, lasts about an hour, then a short rest.

Stoney pulls most of the toys out of the toy bin, piles them up, and lays on them.

They take turns watching out of the window at night - keeping almost a constant watch. We have deer and raccoons, and they get excited when something moves at night.

When I close the door Loki pulls on the knob within a few minutes to see if I've locked it - almost every time. Yes...he opens knobs, levers, and on occasion has dead bolted me out of the house.

They cuddle and groom much more in their room than they do in general population. Not sure why.

Loki stares at the camera and smirks like he knows I'm watching. If he could extend his middle finger I'm pretty sure he would.
That's funny.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Love this post! I'm sure if we all did this, we would be amazed at what our cats do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Popp

Site Supporter
That's a fantastic post! Our boys get separated at night, only one gets locked down because they are only trouble when they are together in the evening.