Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What do you think?

admin

Paige
Staff member
So all the lists are abuzz with the new bill introduced today for banning exotics and Savannahs in Ohio. have you read the bill? Do you have any questions? what do you think????

Trish Allearz

I think it's tiresome...

I think when I entered into this breed- I did not realize how quickly the anti-exotic agenda would explode. For years- and years and years- people throughout the United States have had the freedom to own exotics in most states. And they only had to put in for permits or whatnot to own said exotics. Now, it seems like there will be less and less exotic owners and only animals in zoos and 'sanctuaries'- but I will tell you, I'd rather see a Serval in a pet owner's home then in a small 'sanctuary'. We shall just leave it at that.

I think the general public is mislead by HSUS and PETA. I think it's time WE as animal owners find a way to reach CHILDREN and the general public as well to let them know that you must look PAST the general first impressions of such group. Sad songs, sad pictures- they tug at the heartstring and opens people's wallets. People who have no clue to whom they are actually donating to... It breaks MY heart to think of all the kind hearted Americans who have donated to these causes, not knowing that in the end- HSUS and PETA does NOT want us to own ANY pets. Not just exotics, not just pitbulls, not just... what-have-you. They want the keeping of DOMESTIC animals to cease to exist.

I think we need to band together. I think we need to find our STRENGTH within the animal community and stop turning our backs upon other owners. "So what? It's an exotic ban- it doesn't effect us" says the normal pet loving community. "So what? It's a hybrid ban- it doesn't effect us" says the majority of the pet loving community. "So what? It's a Pitbull ban- it doesn't effect us" says a portion of the pet loving community.

EVERY TIME we give up our rights as pet owners- we give them the ability to take more.

You know me, Paige- this is a soap box I can preach on and on and on about... It's because it SCARES me. I don't want to FORGET the Servals in my cats' backgrounds and concentrate on ONLY SBTs. I LOVE my F1s. I ADORE every spot and every inch of fur on my F2s. I wouldn't have them without an African Serval, by the name of Dagger.

I wish people would EDUCATE themselves and come out from under the rocks they bury under... We cannot protect our rights by ignoring others' plights.

admin

Paige
Staff member
trish, well said and I completely agree...I don't want to see the serval banned either...or any other exotic or hybrid.

And I understand completely about the sanctuary...I just wish others knew what we did...I think the videos were awesome though and I really hope they have an impact on the legislators in Ohio...I know they did in Illinois...hence, the Illinois DWA Act is dead until 2013!!!

Kristine

Right now between that and the Iowa b.s. and the County of Los Angeles out on the street enforcing their nuts mandatory s/n bill, I am not sure I can coherently respond as to what I think. I feel extremely frustrated as an animal owner.

The Ohio bill just isn't logical. If the goal is to ban wild animals, then why are Savannahs banned, but not Bengals or Chausies. Why are wolf hybrids okay, but not Savannahs? If they are going to argue that non-domestic source hybrids are "wild animals" then why allow some and not others. I do not think anyone who supports this bill could honestly answer that. The entire thing makes no sense whatsoever.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Those are my questions too, Kristine. I just don't understand their ignorant thinking. What is it about savannahs they are so scared of? I think we need to use the same tactics as the AR groups by appealing to the heartstrings of the public showing savannahs in a positive light. Maybe a video on You Tube showing them with babies and children. Everyone loves to see babies with pets. That would certainly dispel the myth of the "dangerous wild animal".

admin

Paige
Staff member
Right now between that and the Iowa b.s. and the County of Los Angeles out on the street enforcing their nuts mandatory s/n bill, I am not sure I can coherently respond as to what I think. I feel extremely frustrated as an animal owner.

The Ohio bill just isn't logical. If the goal is to ban wild animals, then why are Savannahs banned, but not Bengals or Chausies. Why are wolf hybrids okay, but not Savannahs? If they are going to argue that non-domestic source hybrids are "wild animals" then why allow some and not others. I do not think anyone who supports this bill could honestly answer that. The entire thing makes no sense whatsoever.

I guess BCR hates Savannah's??? There has to be a reason that Savannahs were omitted...and I think we need to get to the bottom of it. The perfect opportunity is at the meeting on the 24th.

admin

Paige
Staff member
We need to do what the USZA did in Illinois, which is part of the reason that bill is dead...make an awesome, well thought-out video, stick it on a DVD or USB thumb drive and send it to every legislator in Ohio and throughout the country...

We need to be organized and centralized and band together...and be proactive instead of reactive!!! JMO!!!

Per Lausund

Staff member
My favourite rant!
Nobody needs fur, and raising animals for fur is immoral. Is it? Provided the animals are well cared for (we have animal welfare laws) producing fur is a way of turning what would otherwise be waste protein into a valuable, NATURAL and sustainable product (instead of wearing oil). Nah, fur is expensive, and mink and foxes have cute pups, so lets stop that.

Let all the seals live! It´s cruel and inhumane to kill seals. Is it? Provided they are killed "humanely" (with less suffering than at any abattoir) seal hunting is sustainable, provides meat and fur, and reduces or controls the most important predator wrt fish: a grown greenland seal (the most commonly hunted species) eats 10-40 kilogrammes fish pr day, and there are some thousands. last time we had a migration of seal from the western ice (Canada, Greenland, etc) was in 1987, the estimated number was around 450,000 animals, they cleaned out the Norwegian coastal fisheries by reducing the available biomass by approx 10,000 tonnes/day instead of being harvested for use and consumption. This kind of migratory pattern has continued since, and bring the Scandinavian and North sea stocks in contact with distemper virus, which kills them massively. Migration started as a result of overcrowding in the west due to reduced hunting pressure. Nah, seal babies are cute, and Brigitte Bardot (with a court sentence for animal abuse) holds a cute white one, we don´t need to use seals, so let´s stop that.

Whales? Nobody needs them for food, and they are SOOO intelligent. Yup, some are, like dolphins and orcas, others are more like cattle (minke whales) only they eat fish instead of grass. Harvesting/catching is sustainable, with some few hundreds being caught out of a 200,000+ population every year. Good, natural, healthy and ecological meat. Nah, they are so smart (never mind the species differences and the fact that tuna netting, which is not sustainable, catches thousands of dolphins every year), so let´s stop that.

Pork! Non-sustainable food production, and we don´t need meat (actually we do!). Piglets are cute...
Lambs...
Calves...
Pitbulls: we don´t like them, they are possibly strong and unnecessary, let´s ban them.
Savannahs...

Have a wonderful day, remember someone is tearing away at any use of animals at all, piece by piece, because you can always find an area where most people don´t bother to care.
Per

admin

Paige
Staff member
Great post, Per...while many people may disagree with you, I get it!!!! Sometimes we forget that there is an entirely different world out there, such as you are describing, as far as what is happening in the Norwegian Sea, for example...

K

Kronos

Interesting why Savannahs are being targeted while other hybrids are not...