Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Makes Your SV Purr?

L

Louie'sDad

Louie purrs at the damnedest times. I thought that purring was only for expressing happiness.

L

Louie'sDad

Here's another: Older cats purr when they play or approach other cats, signaling they are friendly and want to come closer.

............which explains why Louie purrs when I engage in certain kinds of play activity. For instance, when I offer myself as prey, he purrs continually. Now I realize that he's telling me: "don't worry, I know you're friendly and I won't hurt you". He'll attack, puff himself up, raise his forepaws as if to strike, and gently tag me on the face or head with claws retracted. I'm sometimes on the floor when I do this. Trust.

He also purrs when I hold him and walk around the house. I'll stop from time to time and allow him to examine what's in front of him, while talking to him. If I place my face next to his and talk with my mouth against his fur, his purring becomes louder and becomes mixed with a high pitched chattering noise, or trill. He doesn't allow this to go on for more than a minute or so. He fidgets, goes limp, and squirms when he's had enough.:)

He has not purred, so far, when he's in pain or uncomfortable. Usually when he's distressed or unhappy, he's silent. He does, however, hiss at the vet's office. This is the only time I've seen/heard him do this.

Of course, he purrs when I pet, scratch or otherwise "groom" him. He purrs when he's next to me on the easy chair or in bed and I put my hand on his leg, back, etc. He almost always "cleans" my fingers when I do this, and then purrs/trills.

Last edited by a moderator:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
D purrs when we snuggle at night. He climbs up into bed, starts kneading, grabs my hand(s), and settles down for a snuggle.

He also purrs at pet therapy.

He does not like being in the car. We arrive, and he comes out of his carrier on his leash & harness. He walks up to or is carried up to strangers. We do a brief intro, depending on capacity. He is usually purring by the time anyone is touching him. He does a variation of head-butt, and he kneads some of the time, depending on who we are visiting and (as far as I can tell) how much he likes them.

D has been known to purr when he is uncomfortable; there have been a few times where he has been scared or uncomfortable- when this happens, we snuggle until he is *happy* purring (ie purring and kneading and snuggling), and then we go home.

L

Louie'sDad

No, they purr when they are nervous too.

Which explains why, after he runs and tries to hide from me after doing something which merits his being temporarily banished from a particular room in my house, that he purrs while I remove him from the scene of the crime.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
After running around and playing hard, Triton starts to purr when my husband asks him if he's ready for some food. He'll even throw a few meows in there. :)

Triton sounds like D :)
If we offer chicken, D starts purring before we are even in the kitchen. He also starts purring when you take out the treat bag. He also purrs like crazy when the leash and the harness come out, and he is a meowing - while - purring kitty too.