Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What should I feed my F5SBT

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
We just got our little guy who is a F5SBT named Koda. the breeder had him on Authority Adult hairball control. He is 6 months old. I'm hoping to put him on a better food! He's only eating maybe 1/8 cup of food in 2 days :( which seems very low to me. I tried giving him some raw small batch- chicken batch today he sniffed and walked away. I'm not sure how much or what he should eat.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I just responded to you in your other thread - it would be helpful not to duplicate posts so that you can keep the responses all in one place. However, this is the right form to look for good ideas on what to feed your baby!

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry about that! I meant that one to only be an introduction but got off topic. The small batch does come in lamb but I offered him the chicken one as his original food was chicken. I've offered canned authority (original food)and canned natural instincts raw bites dry and canned the rabbit kind he didn't touch any of it.

I did not soak the treats in water I didn't know to do that!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Sorry about that! I meant that one to only be an introduction but got off topic. The small batch does come in lamb but I offered him the chicken one as his original food was chicken. I've offered canned authority (original food)and canned natural instincts raw bites dry and canned the rabbit kind he didn't touch any of it.

OK....I also responded to the other thread......

Most cats love the freeze-dried and soaking is not necessary.

If you have had him for only a couple of days, his lack of appetite may be simply a function of being stressed out over his new surroundings. Rafiki barely ate the first couple of days we had her and didn't poop for 5! My lucky breeder was the happy recipient of 3-4 text messages a day regarding the lack of poo! No matter how "awful" you think his food is, you need to keep him on it for several weeks until he acclimates to his new surroundings. Changing his food now (other than treats) will just cause more stress.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Transition to a new food should be slow and there could be starts and stops along the way. When you want to try a new food, after he's been home a month or so, put a teensy amount of the new food in his kibble and try grinding up some of the Authority kibble and sprinkle it liberally on the new food. If/when he starts eating the kibble-laced new food, slowly increase the amount of new and decrease the Authority. Sooner or later, he'll be eating all new food. It could take months for him for switch completely. Just keep trying and eventually you'll find a food he likes enough to give up the kibble for.

Patti

Admin
Staff member

No worries, I understand how that happens! ;)

You don't have to soak the freeze dried treats, but some cats like it better rehydrated. However, as the others have said, if you've just gotten him you need to keep him on the same diet the breeder had him on for at least a couple of weeks (I would recommend a month, then slooowly transition him onto the new food you want. He first needs to settle into his new home - his life has been turned upside down and that is very stressful on a kitten (whether he shows it or not). Changing his diet is added stress and can cause stomach upset leading to diarrhea and loss of appetite. Strict protein items such as freeze dried, raw, or cooked chicken should be okay as treats for now but I would not otherwise change his diet at this point in time.

Hina

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum, Koda-momma. Your fur baby is quite handsome.
I would suggest you do follow everyone's advise of sticking to the same food and routine for the time being and then slowly transitioning. You can try Radcat, it's a commercial raw that's available in chicken, lamb and turkey. You can try out a sample first and once you have the nod of approval from Koda you can get more. We had no problems switching Sasha to raw, he even likes turkey which was an absolute no-no for him when we gave him canned food. But now we have another problem - he will not touch any canned food !!!!

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
Okay! So we've had for a couple weeks now. He is a piggie!! But still seems very slender. We have tried raw,freeze dried,dehydrated, and several high quality brands. He will go to his bowl. Sniff it then scratch all around his bowl?? Same thing he does when he is covering his potty.

He was on authority adult. He only showed interest in taste of the wild chicken. But after speaking with a few people and reading some recent reviews we will not stay with blue buffalo there's been several complaints about blockages and deaths.

Our ragdoll will eat anything under the sun!! So I have no idea what to do

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Is he always burying his food? Or is it randomly? You said he is a piggie...is that just with things he isn't supposed to eat?

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
He's not burying his food. He's just scratching all around is food bowl as if he was burying it. Yes he's a piggie for blue buffalo wilderness kitten. But I have heard sooo many bad things going on with blue wilderness right now