Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What to do? Give back to breeder or keep?

T

tkymasters

Guest
#1
My friend who intro SVs to me lost his F2 last year to lukemia (5 yrs old)... had a bad turn in life and no longer can keep his F3 (Shiro) female which is 8 mos old. He wants me to have her, but I reminded him that he signed a contract with the breeder... I don't mind keeping another F3, but is it wrong? She is not from the same breeder I got my SVs from..

Right now Shiro is in quarantine until a full health check... I really like the fact that she is only 8 mos and huge... not fat, but looking more like a F2 and not FIXED, but bites... with a very distinctive pattern on her so I can't take a picture.

I'm a firm believer in contracts, but I never signed a contract for her.. she is unique. More like a moral dilema.. any comments.. especially from the breeders.
 

Brigitte Cowell

Moderator
Staff member
#2
Of course as a breeder I think the contract should be honored! The breeder should always be offered the first right of refusal to take the cat back.

As a pet owner and just as an individual, I wouldn't want to be dishonest like that. No, you haven't signed the contract but you KNOW of the terms. I wouldn't feel right.

Why doesn't your friend want to honor the contract he signed, btw?
 

Patti

Admin
Staff member
#4
Your friend needs to let the breeder know what's going on, and at the same time let them know that he has found a wonderful new home for Shiro. My guess is that the breeder will be happy that a new home has been found for him, and although they may want to screen you personally will most likely agree to let your friend give you Shiro.
 
T

tkymasters

Guest
#5
I agree with Brigitte...I guess my question is also, was she supposed to be spayed as per the contract?
I didn't get a look at his contract cuz he threw it away.. I'm pretty sure there was a SPAY clause in there..

My friend (Bob) had a bad adoption with the breeder.. so they didn't communicate very well. I know which cattery Shiro came from, but I'm hesitant to give her back. Bob is on his way down to Atlanta to live with his parents, and he is the type of guy that can't keep a promise to save his life.
 
T

tkymasters

Guest
#6
Of course as a breeder I think the contract should be honored! The breeder should always be offered the first right of refusal to take the cat back.

As a pet owner and just as an individual, I wouldn't want to be dishonest like that. No, you haven't signed the contract but you KNOW of the terms. I wouldn't feel right.

Why doesn't your friend want to honor the contract he signed, btw?

You're absolutely right Brigette.. I feel horrible, I have the same term in my contract.. I know if I contact the breeder and ask permission to keep Shiro, she would want Shiro back... I have to talk this thoroughly with my better half..aka, the wife. I may call my breeder and ask her opinion.

Honor the contract or become a Bob and don't honor anything...?

The last time Bob called the breeder for the TICA registration, there were alot of F bombs, B words.
 

Brigitte Cowell

Moderator
Staff member
#7
I think you need to see past the disagreement that Bob had with the breeder, disputes can arise over silly things. Do you think this breeder is a "bad breeder" that would abuse this cat if returned to them? I think that is what you need to decide... is their disagreement related to the care of the cats in the cattery or not? If it is about papers then it seems to me that the breeder might have refused until proof of spay which would have been reasonable... but obviously it degenerated into an unpleasant situation.
 
K

Kronos

Guest
#8
I would let the breeder know, and also let her know that there is a very good home for the cat. Chances are she will be happy to have been kept in the loop and you can keep the cat and feel guilt free about it.
 

Per Lausund

Moderator
Staff member
#9
I´d advise you to contact the breeder, offer to spay the animal and care for it. It would be a rare breeder who didn´t accept that, unless of course there are other considerations as well. Usually a breeder will put the first right of refusal in to ensure the welfare of the animal.
Best of luck!
 
#10
I imagine the only way a breeder would truly want her back to keep her is if she is not spayed. I also suspect that the reason a breeder would want a pet cat back would be due to concerns/disagreements with the buyer where the welfare of the cat was in question. Seems that your friend didn't follow through on his end of the deal and that would be a sore point for me also.