Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

what to feed SV kitten with diarrhea

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
I am new to this group and a new SV owner. Have had cats all my life but this is my first Savannah.

I acquired my SV kitten (F6A), Ahavah, the day before Labor Day at 9 weeks of age. When I got her the breeder warned me that she might have diarrhea and fleas and said to get in touch with Revival Animal Health and get something used for goats to combat the diarrhea. Well, instead I took her to my vet 2 days later as I wanted to find out what was causing the diarrhea. The stool sample was tested for giardia and coccidia with negative results. Got rid of the fleas and her first vaccination. The vet prescribed a round of metronidazole and fortiflora. No change in the diarrhea, still very malodorous, and cow pie-like. Did some research on the web and came up with tritrichomonas foetus. Took her back to the vet and had a PCR test run. Sure enough she tested positive for TF and cryptosporidia. Another 2 weeks on meds, this time ronidazole and azithromycin. Still no change in the diarrhea. Back to the vet a third time for her last vaccination and another PCR test. This one came back negative for TF but still positive for cryptosporidia. She is currently five days into a three-week course of azithromycin and tylosin and more fortiflora.

My question: Will a dietary change help? I am feeding her Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Canned Kitten Food and supplementing with Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free dry kitten food. The vet also prescribed a high protein canned Royal Canin cat food. Ahavah won’t touch it. Glad I only bought 2 cans. What should I be feeding an SV with chronic diarrhea? What more can I do to help my poor kitty have normal stools?

This kitten is so much fun, a boundless bundle of energy, steadily gaining weight in spite of the diarrhea. She wears me out playing fetch. Loves to torment my other cat. Does not like to be told no. Even the water spray bottle does not affect her. Love her personality and just want to get her healthy.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Be blessed.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am new to this group and a new SV owner. Have had cats all my life but this is my first Savannah.

I acquired my SV kitten (F6A), Ahavah, the day before Labor Day at 9 weeks of age. When I got her the breeder warned me that she might have diarrhea and fleas and said to get in touch with Revival Animal Health and get something used for goats to combat the diarrhea. Well, instead I took her to my vet 2 days later as I wanted to find out what was causing the diarrhea. The stool sample was tested for giardia and coccidia with negative results. Got rid of the fleas and her first vaccination. The vet prescribed a round of metronidazole and fortiflora. No change in the diarrhea, still very malodorous, and cow pie-like. Did some research on the web and came up with tritrichomonas foetus. Took her back to the vet and had a PCR test run. Sure enough she tested positive for TF and cryptosporidia. Another 2 weeks on meds, this time ronidazole and azithromycin. Still no change in the diarrhea. Back to the vet a third time for her last vaccination and another PCR test. This one came back negative for TF but still positive for cryptosporidia. She is currently five days into a three-week course of azithromycin and tylosin and more fortiflora.

My question: Will a dietary change help? I am feeding her Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free Canned Kitten Food and supplementing with Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free dry kitten food. The vet also prescribed a high protein canned Royal Canin cat food. Ahavah won’t touch it. Glad I only bought 2 cans. What should I be feeding an SV with chronic diarrhea? What more can I do to help my poor kitty have normal stools?

This kitten is so much fun, a boundless bundle of energy, steadily gaining weight in spite of the diarrhea. She wears me out playing fetch. Loves to torment my other cat. Does not like to be told no. Even the water spray bottle does not affect her. Love her personality and just want to get her healthy.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Be blessed.

Wow - is all I can say.

I will stick with trying to help you with your kitten, but there is a lot more I would like to say...did the breeder pay for your baby's meds?

You can try something like chicken and rice - boiled chicken and plain rice to give the kitten's GI tract a rest...you should be giving a supplement such as Rapid Rehab or Kitty Bllom or even NutriCal, to get some calories into the kitten...

Here is hoping the last round of drugs help cure your baby...not sure who you bought her from, but I must say, I do not know any reputable breeder who would sell or give away a sick kitten...this poor kitten should have been taken care of properly.

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
I live in a rural area and actually the breeder was selling his kittens on the street corner. It was over a 100° and he had 4 kittens in crates under a shade umbrella. I felt sorry for the kittens and wanted to rescue all 4 but could only afford one. I have always dreamed of owning a Savannah. I learned my lesson. I could have purchased a kitten from a reputable breeder and spent less money and got a healthy kitten. He has a new litter posted on Facebook. Wonder if these kittens will have the same issues?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I live in a rural area and actually the breeder was selling his kittens on the street corner. It was over a 100° and he had 4 kittens in crates under a shade umbrella. I felt sorry for the kittens and wanted to rescue all 4 but could only afford one. I have always dreamed of owning a Savannah. I learned my lesson. I could have purchased a kitten from a reputable breeder and spent less money and got a healthy kitten. He has a new litter posted on Facebook. Wonder if these kittens will have the same issues?

how do you even know they were savannahs...what is his FB page?

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome. You will get a lot of good information on these forums, some already posted in various threads and plenty in direct answer to your post.

I wish you and your new Savannah all the best. It sounds like despite the illness she is determined to enjoy life to the fullest. :)

Please post pictures of your kitten.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Wow I'm sorry your going through this. What works we for me is to boil chicken, I usually buy a pack of thighs. Once cooked, Debone and put in blender with some of the hot brothy water. Once done add some slippery elm powder (while the blender product is still wet). Slippery elm helps sooth the digestive tract. Give multiple small meals a day. You can't feed this forever, but kibble is highly processed and hard to Digest. It can upset the tummy. You can sprinkle the forti flora on the blend. Feed this for a few days to a week. Also with that much going on, even with the infection gone, the GI tract is damaged and will take awhile to repair itself. You might go on with symptoms. I know vets love tylan and want you to use it till symptoms disappear, but the long term use of antibiotics kill good bacteria in gut and can cause more damage. Once the little guys tests come back neg. for everything, try a diet formulated to heal the stomach, IMO raw or home cooked is best. Stuff at vets is crap, it's corn or grain based and not good.