Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What's a fair price for an F6 kitten (pet)?

Mikey

Savannah Child
Just wondering what you guys consider a fair price range for a F6 kitten as a pet. Thanks!

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
twodollars.png
Two dollars . . .

:big grin:

Just kidding, Leslie's numbers sound right from the limited exposure I've had to the market so far.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't necessarily agree with that pricing...it depends on the kitten, whether the kitten is show quality, will be a breeder, etc.

Lesley

Site Supporter
I don't necessarily agree with that pricing...it depends on the kitten, whether the kitten is show quality, will be a breeder, etc.

I agree. I was just giving a ballpark idea since he lists he wants an F6 pet price, not breeder or show quality.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Our melanistic F5 boy and our Snow F4 boy were both within the ranges quoted above, but neither are show or breeder quality based on looks.

D, our F5 boy, has such a long tail that it drags on the ground (if he forgets to hold it up) and he has some patches of chocolate brown and some white hairs in his coat. Our F4 boy Mickey Blue Eyes is not breed standard (snow), and to top it off, the little guy is kind of cross eyed.

They are wonderful boys. D is a certified therapy pet, we call him the happiest cat in the world. Mickey is the most cuddly cat I have ever encountered. He waits until our alarm goes off, and CHARGES at us for a snuggle session 4 mornings out of 5. It makes us late for work ALL THE TIME.

If you are open to a kitten that doesn't look exactly the way the SV breed usually appears, whether it is a tail that is too long, some white (or a whole lot of it) in the coat, or some slightly crossed eyes, there is a great SV kitten in a lower price range in your future.

If I were judged on looks alone, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't measure up to Breeder or Show standards, but I've got some great qualities, and so do my F4 and F5 boys. I'm not exactly proportioned perfectly, and neither is D, and I can't see at all without my glasses, and little Mickey is cross eyed, but boy am I glad Mickey and D are our kitties. I wouldn't trade them for the most perfect looking SV in the world.

Great SVs come in a whole variety of packaging, from perfect spotting patterns to some that are a little less so. The better the packaging, the higher the price in some circumstances.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Our melanistic F5 boy and our Snow F4 boy were both within the ranges quoted above, but neither are show or breeder quality based on looks.

D, our F5 boy, has such a long tail that it drags on the ground (if he forgets to hold it up) and he has some patches of chocolate brown and some white hairs in his coat. Our F4 boy Mickey Blue Eyes is not breed standard (snow), and to top it off, the little guy is kind of cross eyed.

They are wonderful boys. D is a certified therapy pet, we call him the happiest cat in the world. Mickey is the most cuddly cat I have ever encountered. He waits until our alarm goes off, and CHARGES at us for a snuggle session 4 mornings out of 5. It makes us late for work ALL THE TIME.

If you are open to a kitten that doesn't look exactly the way the SV breed usually appears, whether it is a tail that is too long, some white (or a whole lot of it) in the coat, or some slightly crossed eyes, there is a great SV kitten in a lower price range in your future.

If I were judged on looks alone, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't measure up to Breeder or Show standards, but I've got some great qualities, and so do my F4 and F5 boys. I'm not exactly proportioned perfectly, and neither is D, and I can't see at all without my glasses, and little Mickey is cross eyed, but boy am I glad Mickey and D are our kitties. I wouldn't trade them for the most perfect looking SV in the world.

Great SVs come in a whole variety of packaging, from perfect spotting patterns to some that are a little less so. The better the packaging, the higher the price in some circumstances.

I REALLY agree with this. If you are looking for a great exotic pet that may not be "perfectly" conformed to breeding standards, you can find a really great Savannah at a good price.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I REALLY agree with this. If you are looking for a great exotic pet that may not be "perfectly" conformed to breeding standards, you can find a really great Savannah at a good price.

I agree as well!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think if you are looking at an SBT kitten (three or more generations of SV x SV breeding) then your prices from F5 and later generations are going to be in the same range, because the TWiG (theoretical wild gene) will be about the same regardless of how many generations removed from the Serval. If anything, the price may go up as the breed continues to improve upon itself with each subsequent generation. I think the pricing of $750-1300 is a fair one based on looks and personality. Now if it is an A or B generation kitten I would expect the price to be closer to the lower end of the range.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I agree with Patti and with Paige's earlier comment.

If the kitten you are looking at LOOKS like an F3 or an F4, and is an F6 SBT, I would expect to pay F3 or F4 prices, or higher. The more perfect the packaging, the higher the price ;)

Don't be afraid of the kitten that does not look perfect. Chances are that he or she is a great little kitty :)
I promise you, the moment that cat steps up to you, meows, and settles in for a snuggle and starts purring, you won't care any more that he or she isn't perfect, because from that moment on, it is YOUR cat, and he or she is perfect, in it's own way :)