Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

When is a good time to purchase Savannah #2?

potierdemadi

Savannah Child
I fell in love with the Savannah breed after meeting my aunt's boyfriend. He had a beautiful Savannah f1. He purchased in the 90s. *Photo Below* I recently got a f4 female. I worry that she needs a friend and a playmate. At what age did you introduce a new Savannah to your previous Savannah? Is it better to have two females? Male or female? My sister stated that having spayed boy and girl will cause them to hate each other.

Attachments

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
I fell in love with the Savannah breed after meeting my aunt's boyfriend. He had a beautiful Savannah f1. He purchased in the 90s. *Photo Below* I recently got a f4 female. I worry that she needs a friend and a playmate. At what age did you introduce a new Savannah to your previous Savannah? Is it better to have two females? Male or female? My sister stated that having spayed boy and girl will cause them to hate each other.
I'll take a try to answer some of your questions. I went with a year spacing between savanna cats. Letting the existing ones mature some before introducing them to a new kitten. This seemed to work well. I also have all male cats with the idea that they are mellower. The third cat Max is not mellow, so that part did not work out so well.
Good luck and pictures of your new kitten are always appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have 4 savannah males. The first 3 are about 8 months apart in age and they are between 7-9 years old. My last is an F1 who just turned 3.

Usually, male/male or male/female tend to work better than female/female but how well cats get along has more to do with type of personality than gender. Pair an aggressive personality with an overly submissive one and you'll probably have trouble. A confident cat and a submissive cat can get along quite well.

When you start looking for your 2nd cat, talk to the breeders about your current cat's personality and discuss what would be a good match.

potierdemadi

Savannah Child
I have 4 savannah males. The first 3 are about 8 months apart in age and they are between 7-9 years old. My last is an F1 who just turned 3.

Usually, male/male or male/female tend to work better than female/female but how well cats get along has more to do with type of personality than gender. Pair an aggressive personality with an overly submissive one and you'll probably have trouble. A confident cat and a submissive cat can get along quite well.

When you start looking for your 2nd cat, talk to the breeders about your current cat's personality and discuss what would be a good match.

Its hard to say what her personality is like since I got her 2 weeks ago. Within a few days after her first set of shots, she got a virus. I noticed she wasn't as playful so in a few days after change of appetite I took her to the vet. She's currently on antibiotics. She's now becoming a little more playful but not as much as when I first met her and our first night together.

So far I realize she loves to cuddle. Whenever she is tired she tries to make me aware so I sit in one place so she can either lay on me or right next to me. I was in my office organizing.. she was making noises sitting on my chair as if she was begging me to sit there and I wouldn't. Then she would come sit on me and I would have to get up, let her off. She was getting so frustrated. She's very affectionate. She lets me kiss her. Hold her whenever. I first confined her into one room, my bathroom. I then realized it would be difficult to shower, get ready. So I was curious if she would venture to any rooms. She kind of just went into my bedroom. So I switched the litterbox. Bed. Toys. Food. Etc to my room. She won't sleep in her bed. My boobs, chest, les or my bed is her bed now. Then the day before the vet, she started following me around. I did put a litter box downstairs with water near it in case she ever ventured down there without me. She used the litterbox the first time following me downstairs. Crazy? Maybe? Idk! Now that she's feeling better, wherever I go, she goes. I'm not sure what kind of personality trait this will become...

I think she's mellow but I have not seen her around other animals or cats. When I met her, her brothers were already sold. She was the only female. Reason why, when I sleep, she does not bother me really. She is usually sleeping with me. When I am working on my computer, she will sit in my lap for hours. Sleeping or just chilling.

She does have an attitude because I bought her this butterfly toy that spins around. She figured it out. So if I turn it on, no joke, she runs and stomps on the butterfly and leaves the room.

She has a cat nanny, someone who comes and feeds her if I am at work. She is friendly towards him except when we were at the vet, asked for help, she looked at me not him and cried when they stuck the thermometer in her butt. I know if she was in danger she would find me. I had an instinct something was off with her a few days ago but I thought it could of been stress from leaving her mommy and brothers.

I am just concerned when she gets older she will need a friend, someone to play with. I heard Savannah females can be difficult introducing a new playmate.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think if you spay and neuter your cats (as you need to do) the issues of male vs. female are pretty nonexistent, and as the others have said, it will depend more upon the personalities of the individual cats rather than their gender. It sounds like your kitten is pretty laid back and just interested in getting lovins, which makes it sound like she should get along pretty much with anyone, however, it's also possible that she will become jealous if she sees you splitting your attention between her and another cat, so it will be important to be aware of that when you are introducing a new kitten.

potierdemadi

Savannah Child
I think if you spay and neuter your cats (as you need to do) the issues of male vs. female are pretty nonexistent, and as the others have said, it will depend more upon the personalities of the individual cats rather than their gender. It sounds like your kitten is pretty laid back and just interested in getting lovins, which makes it sound like she should get along pretty much with anyone, however, it's also possible that she will become jealous if she sees you splitting your attention between her and another cat, so it will be important to be aware of that when you are introducing a new kitten.
That's what I am worried about. Jealousy!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That's what I am worried about. Jealousy!
There will always be a bit of jealousy when animals share a home. I make sure to split play time and snuggle time with each of my 4. While your cat would likely enjoy the company of another cat, it's not necessary to have a companion for her as long as you provide sufficient environmental enrichment and give her plenty of your time.

Kittens and young cats tend to accept a new companion more easily than older cats so if you decide to get another, I'd suggest doing so prior to or just as your baby turns one year old. Older cats accept new companions too but it may take a bit more work on your part.

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
I have had female Bengals for 15 yrs total, but decided to have a male Savannah cat and I have to say I always thought female cats are easier to deal with, but I love my boy even though he consumes my life. I do agree that female to female cats can be difficult because they tend to fight, from what I've experienced, but I cannot imagine ever having another cat with Zeus, my Savannah 3. Savannahs are much more of a handful than Bengals at least males vs females in my opinion. Las Vegas Barbie on you tube has a male serval which is legal when she got one and a female Savannah. The female Savannah is so docile, although it's really ridiculous how much this male serval loves her. Ill post a video later for you to see.

I find female cats to be more independent and tempermental and the male cats tend to be very needy and need a lot of attention and was told this by several cat owners. I did my research asking various domestic male cat owners their experience!

Zeus seems to be more strong willed, determined, and stubborn and I had to get rehome my longtime female bengal because of Zeus. She was in serious harms way being only 9 lbs and very set in her ways. She was 10 at the time .

It may also be that Zeus was only one of one litter so he never has had any litter/playmates in his life. That may have something to do with it.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
Its hard to say what her personality is like since I got her 2 weeks ago. Within a few days after her first set of shots, she got a virus. I noticed she wasn't as playful so in a few days after change of appetite I took her to the vet. She's currently on antibiotics. She's now becoming a little more playful but not as much as when I first met her and our first night together.

So far I realize she loves to cuddle. Whenever she is tired she tries to make me aware so I sit in one place so she can either lay on me or right next to me. I was in my office organizing.. she was making noises sitting on my chair as if she was begging me to sit there and I wouldn't. Then she would come sit on me and I would have to get up, let her off. She was getting so frustrated. She's very affectionate. She lets me kiss her. Hold her whenever. I first confined her into one room, my bathroom. I then realized it would be difficult to shower, get ready. So I was curious if she would venture to any rooms. She kind of just went into my bedroom. So I switched the litterbox. Bed. Toys. Food. Etc to my room. She won't sleep in her bed. My boobs, chest, les or my bed is her bed now. Then the day before the vet, she started following me around. I did put a litter box downstairs with water near it in case she ever ventured down there without me. She used the litterbox the first time following me downstairs. Crazy? Maybe? Idk! Now that she's feeling better, wherever I go, she goes. I'm not sure what kind of personality trait this will become...

I think she's mellow but I have not seen her around other animals or cats. When I met her, her brothers were already sold. She was the only female. Reason why, when I sleep, she does not bother me really. She is usually sleeping with me. When I am working on my computer, she will sit in my lap for hours. Sleeping or just chilling.

She does have an attitude because I bought her this butterfly toy that spins around. She figured it out. So if I turn it on, no joke, she runs and stomps on the butterfly and leaves the room.

She has a cat nanny, someone who comes and feeds her if I am at work. She is friendly towards him except when we were at the vet, asked for help, she looked at me not him and cried when they stuck the thermometer in her butt. I know if she was in danger she would find me. I had an instinct something was off with her a few days ago but I thought it could of been stress from leaving her mommy and brothers.

I am just concerned when she gets older she will need a friend, someone to play with. I heard Savannah females can be difficult introducing a new playmate.
Thats awesome she is a lap cat! I only had one female snow bengal that was that way. I miss her alot. I rehomed her a few months before my other bengal. I guess I was prepared to having one solitary Savannah cat that I thought should be by himself and in the end I was right. I know a lot of people would have not done so (got rid of their cats) but with my energy level and personality I felt it best just to have one cat too as well. Plus I had moved to a small 1 bedroom in law.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk