Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to walk him?

Schiff24

Savannah Kitten
I just brought him a F3 male kitten. He is awesome and so playful. He is currently in his 10 day quarantine. I wanted to know when a good time is to start training him to walk on leash?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My recommendation is to wait until he has been out of quarantine a couple weeks and completely comfortable having full access to the house and completely comfortable with whatever humans and other animals he's living with. Just give him time to settle in. Then start by having him wear his harness/walking jacket for a few minutes a day until he's comfortable wearing it. Then attach the leash and let him drag that around until he's comfortable wearing it. Then carry him outside and let him sniff around and explore before you try to walk him. Using a feather wand or laser light to tempt him to follow a straight path may be useful when he starts walking.

Remember that not all cats like the outdoors or like walking on leash. If that is the case with your boy, you can always buy a pet stroller to take him for walks.

Schiff24

Savannah Kitten
Thank you!!

My recommendation is to wait until he has been out of quarantine a couple weeks and completely comfortable having full access to the house and completely comfortable with whatever humans and other animals he's living with. Just give him time to settle in. Then start by having him wear his harness/walking jacket for a few minutes a day until he's comfortable wearing it. Then attach the leash and let him drag that around until he's comfortable wearing it. Then carry him outside and let him sniff around and explore before you try to walk him. Using a feather wand or laser light to tempt him to follow a straight path may be useful when he starts walking.

Remember that not all cats like the outdoors or like walking on leash. If that is the case with your boy, you can always buy a pet stroller to take him for walks.

Schiff24

Savannah Kitten
Thank you!!