Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to purchase?

R

Robert Threadgill

Does anyone know where to purchase 4' x 8' sheets of steel enclosure material.

The stuff Home Depot has is just to week.

R

Robert Threadgill

I have looked online but so many to choose from and who knows if they could be toxic to our cats. This is why I like to find out what others are using.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Do you mean the mesh for the enclosure? There's a place here in San Francisco that has a whole range of it. When we were doing the backyard over again, I went there and just selected the one I wanted. It was PVC coated welded steel, 2 inch square mesh...yikes, must go see if I can find the name of the place though!

R

Robert Threadgill

That is what I would like, not to sure about the PVC since PVC is toxic. but without would be perfect. Brigitte I would recommend not using PVC coated. I have worked with PVC a lot and I can tell you it is not good. Here is an article to back up what I am saying.

The Center for Health, Environment and Justice, a non-profit organization based in New York, calls polyvinyl chloride “one of the most hazardous consumer products ever created” [source: CHEJ]. This group has launched a publicity campaign against the production of polyvinyl chloride, called “PVC: Poison Plastic,” and produced a 2004 study, “Bad News Comes in Threes.” The “Threes” references the number three found within the recycling symbol on some products, which identifies those products as being made of PVC.

R

Robert Threadgill

I would use a non toxic powder coating, I think Dupot makes one. and any powder coating company will have access to it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Robert, if the PVC is coating a wire that is the ROOF to the enclosure, I honestly think it safe enough. There's an extent to my paranoia.

But you should use what you are comfortable using. You asked what people had used. I suspect you could find articles on anything used to coat materials though...you might want to research what is used in powder coating.

R

Robert Threadgill

Thanks never even crossed my mine, its been that way for awhile

R

Robert Threadgill

I stated "NON TOXIC" powder coating. do you always to to shot me down can't you just once say thanks. Instead of making sure I'm wrong. Trust I will never try to help again. You've made it plenty clear my opinion means nothing to you. Sorry for trying...