Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Which generation looks like Serval?

I'd like to get Savannah that looks just like Serval. Or at least has apperiance of the servals as close as possible- I don't want take serval himself because they are too wild for me and I am afraid that I will fail to domesticate him so he will be be dangeroous. Which generation of savannah is suit for me?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs do not look like servals. An F1 is the closest relative but I have seen (and produced) F2s that I feel look more serval-like than some F1s I've seen.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Patti said a motuthful. The serval look is very individual to ANY Savannah cat of ANY generation. I have seen F6 cats that look very servally. I have seen F1 cats that look like tabby domestics. What I am really trying to say is, it is the luck of the draw. Find one that speaks to your heart.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
But remember that an F1 cat also ACTS more like a serval as well. You need to be prepared for that. The closeness of the bond is amazing unless you have to be away if your cat will not deal with someone else and either won't eat or intimidates the sitter. Getting an F1 to the vet can be more of an issue as well. They are gorgeous and amazing cats but you have to weigh that with some undesireable traits that the cat may display as an adult. The behavior as a kitten may change as the cat matures and becomes more set in its ways.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We are lucky enough to share our lives with an F2 kitten that I think looks a lot like a little mini serval, but as was said above, be prepared. Our little fluffball is less than a year old, but make no mistake, she is in charge.
She woke me up at 3 am because she is growing and hungry, so downstairs we went to get her food. She is stubborn. She is strong minded. She is an adorable little thing, but my goodness she is more determined than I am. And I'm a lawyer. Baby Rey .jpg Baby Rey 5 12 16.jpg

Rafiki

Site Supporter
We are lucky enough to share our lives with an F2 kitten that I think looks a lot like a little mini serval, but as was said above, be prepared. Our little fluffball is less than a year old, but make no mistake, she is in charge.
She woke me up at 3 am because she is growing and hungry, so downstairs we went to get her food. She is stubborn. She is strong minded. She is an adorable little thing, but my goodness she is more determined than I am. And I'm a lawyer. View attachment 20185 View attachment 20186
Dang she is a cutie!

She woke me up at 3 am because she is growing and hungry, so downstairs we went to get her food. She is stubborn. She is strong minded. She is an adorable little thing, but my goodness she is more determined than I am. And I'm a lawyer. View attachment 20185 View attachment 20186
Too funny, I have an F3 that wakes me up to be petted at about that same time of night. My other F3 demands his petting when I come home. He will wine until I sit down and totally give him attention. My F1 loves to help with dishes every night. Never a dull moment, just lack of sleep. Yep, all mine are stubborn and don't take no for an answer, but I would not trade any of these moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk