Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Which pet is the heaviest?

Treywi

April
Well we finally broke down and bought a human scale to not only weigh ourselves and keep healthy, but to see how the animals are stacking up. First night of weighing both hubby and I walked away with our fair share of scratches as our ornery SV Triton does not like to be held. Rest of the crew no problems. So I proceeded to work on training Triton to step on the scale himself and stay. After a few yummy treats he now walks up and stands like a good boy. Of course all that work and the scale doesn't even read his weight with just him. :eek:

So I gave it one more try and with treats in hand picked him up and held him long enough to get a weight. lol

Out of 2 Bengals, 1 Savannah, 1 Miniature Pinscher and 1 Sulcata Tortoise we finally found out who is the heaviest. At least for now. lol

Miniature Pinscher-16lbs (needs more exercise)o_O
Male Savannah-13lbs
Male Bengal-12lbs
Female Bengal-10lbs

and the heaviest, the Sulcata Tortoise at a whopping 25lbs. hehe Of course these types of tortoises can reach 100lbs. :big grin:

Was actually shocked to see Triton more then Chase our male Bengal. Now not only is he taller but weighs more too. :up:

p.s. We have snakes as well, but wasn't about to get them all out and start weighing. :Geeky:

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
I have to hold the cats for the same reason when weighing them except for my DSH who is almost 16lbs, the scale doesn't trigger for lower weight. I suspect the bottom triggering weight to be about 15lbs.

What really surprised me was how accurate it was when I weighed them recently. It had Yeti's weight within half an ounce.

The most recent official vet weighing had them:
Paz at 15lbs 13oz
Yuki 9lbs 2oz
Yeti 5lbs 12 and a half oz

Quest for you about the tortoise. Do the cats ride around on it or try to?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
ummmm, I don't have any challenge weighing my cats. I hold them, step on the scale, get off, put the cat down, get on the scale, then subtract. For adult cats I'm happy to be +/- half a pound in accuracy. I let the vet's office nail down the ounce accuracy.
Treywi, see if you get give him a treat if he lets you hold him for a moment.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
ummmm, I don't have any challenge weighing my cats. I hold them, step on the scale, get off, put the cat down, get on the scale, then subtract. For adult cats I'm happy to be +/- half a pound in accuracy. I let the vet's office nail down the ounce accuracy.
My formula gets more complicated: (weight when holding cat) -(the weight I admit to when asked)-(the pounds to make up for the, um, calibration issue that explains the difference between what I say is my weight and what the scale says) = cats weight. Just way too much math.

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
Haha, we have a Sulcata also, but he is about 120-130 already and still a juvenile.
This is King Tut, definitely our heaviest pet.

pequgyba.jpg

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
They can be 150 years based on what we have been told, but we know they can and hopefully will outlive us! They handle heat very well, but need shelter in freezing temps. At 25 lbs they can move furniture, at 100 they go where they want, LOL!

Treywi

April

Yep what I did and was able to hold him long enough for the weigh in. Going to keep working with him. While I don't care he's not a snuggle bug, I do want to make sure he can be held for short periods of time at the least. :up:

Treywi

April
Haha, we have a Sulcata also, but he is about 120-130 already and still a juvenile.
This is King Tut, definitely our heaviest pet.

Wow he's a big boy. Our Shelly girl is still pretty young in the sense of how long they live. But she had a rough start. The people we got her from fed her baby food. So her shell didn't form right (pyramiding) and she has messed up beak. With proper food her shell has been getting better. I'll try and get a current shot sometime today. :)

D

Dantes

They can be 150 years based on what we have been told, but we know they can and hopefully will outlive us! They handle heat very well, but need shelter in freezing temps. At 25 lbs they can move furniture, at 100 they go where they want, LOL!

This is awesome! How does he do with the cats?