Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Who think this is OK?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Auctioning off a savannah kitten to the highest bidder...

We had a breeder on one of the FB groups I help manage post that he is auctioning off a savannah kitten to the highest bidder over $500, to help pay for his friend's grandfather's funeral...

Am I the crazy one who thinks it is unethical and immoral? Just sayin'

ambiente18

Site Supporter
Auctioning off a savannah kitten to the highest bidder...

We had a breeder on one of the FB groups I help manage post that he is auctioning off a savannah kitten to the highest bidder over $500, to help pay for his friend's grandfather's funeral...

Am I the crazy one who thinks it is unethical and immoral? Just sayin'
I do not think that it is immoral (real!) in theory, but I've never been in this situation

admin

Paige
Staff member
If it is an auction, no one is interviewed...highest bidder wins...I don't know what generation...an auction is an auction...in the savannah cat world, we do NOT auction off kittens...

A

Alice

Ehhh that's pretty unusual..... One would think there would be requirements to bid or at least win, like acceptance of an application, Vet references, etc...
I saw a breeder give away a kitten once, everyone had to like and share the status and they picked a random winner. They had to provide all the usual info as well as Vet references.... I was kicking myself, that I found it after it was all over and the kitten in it's new home! My timing was way too late grrr :)
I don't see those things though but maybe once or twice in the past.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But do you guys understand that a good breeder does NOT do this? Who gives a kitten to the highest bidder or a random person they have never met? Uh...maybe I am the crazy one who doesn't think this is ethical...

John Popp

Site Supporter
I see it as more of a questionable practice than one as unethical. If the bidders are screened beforehand, it's not likely that big of a deal, just wouldn't advise it as that's not the perception a breeder should want hanging over their business. Then of course you have the customers lacking in emotional attachment as it's a kitten they might not walk away with and that van have a negative impact.

Also, is this a kitten yet to be born or one that already exists?

Overall I just think it's weird but it happens all the time with horses and livestock, some of which are destined to have all the emotional attachment we have to our cats.

John Popp

Site Supporter
But do you guys understand that a good breeder does NOT do this? Who gives a kitten to the highest bidder or a random person they have never met? Uh...maybe I am the crazy one who doesn't think this is ethical...
I totally agree Paige although that isn't a question of ethics but rather common sense.

edit, provided that they are prescreening bidders.

A

Alice

I see it as more of a questionable practice than one as unethical. If the bidders are screened beforehand, it's not likely that big of a deal, just wouldn't advise it as that's not the perception a breeder should want hanging over their business. Then of course you have the customers lacking in emotional attachment as it's a kitten they might not walk away with and that van have a negative impact.

Also, is this a kitten yet to be born or one that already exists?

Overall I just think it's weird but it happens all the time with horses and livestock, some of which are destined to have all the emotional attachment we have to our cats.
I agree, I don't know that it's unethical... Personally if it were me I would never do that. However if you did the same sort of screening as you normally would I guess it could work...? Though that would be really time consuming. Definitely unusual.