Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

WHY??? Are Savannahs so darned lovable.. IS it genetic?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I am at a loss to figure out WHY normal ( or almost normal ) adult people go so totally gaga over a little spotted furball. And then, to top it off, obsess on getting more and more of the little sweethearts. Do they have a mystical power to captivate us? Are they really inhabited by Spirits of E.T. kitties from the outer realms? Or is it just because they are so wonderfully CUTE!!!!
What do you think...???

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think there are many reasons why Savannahs are so addictive - these are generalizations and of course there are always individual exceptions:

Savannahs are very social creatures and have interactive personalities - they love people and love interacting with people. They are very active cats and will play as long as you will play with them. They have that exotic flair that sets them apart from other breeds - I'm not just talking about their looks - that too, but their demeanor is different... they look at things and at the world in a different way than other cats. They are confident and assertive, they demand attention and demand their way. They are persistent and will work at a problem until they solve it, or get distracted by something else and move on. They are loyal and true - they become your lifelong companion and best friend. They will never leave you or betray you - you are theirs forever!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's definitely their personalities that get you. We are attracted to the spots and the exotic appearance, but it is when we get them to our homes that we just fall for them...and it can turn to obsession. I'd never felt the need to be a breeder before I got my first Savannah, I love cats but I was happy being a pet owner.

I do hear Abyssinian owners talking about their cats the same way... for all they don't look alike there seems to be a similarity in their energy and intelligence, and hence their owners can tend to be as obsessed with the breed too. Exuberant crazy naughty fun cats... you have to have a sense of humor and you have to be able to appreciate their thinking when they have done something really mischievous.

Some homes would find them a complete pain in the butt. For many years my mother had only heard my stories about them and she'd just sigh and say "I don't know how you put up with it". My dad is phobic about flying so my mum was reluctant to travel without him. Eventually she did...and stayed here for a couple weeks. Now my British Shorthair was her favorite, but by the end of the visit she got it, she could understand the appeal and why I enjoyed them. She just didn't want one herself, she wanted Georgie. Each to their own, I love my Brit but he's a little dull compared to the others...

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I think they are just expert at wrapping their paws firmly around our hearts. Are they little balls of mischief? Yes. Are they constantly into things and occasionally breaking things? Yup. But underneath of it all, I find that they are remarkably in tune with how we are feeling. If we are happy, they are happy with us, bouncing around and silly. If we are worried, or sad, they are glued to us, purring away (D in particular insists on holding my hand. Between his front paws.). If we are scared, they feel that too. During hurricane sandy, Diablo kept hissing at the storm. He would alternate between being all over me, purring like crazy, and jumping down and growling/hissing at the storm.
They are nuts, but underneath it all, so are all of we. Maybe the reason we love them so much is because we are all happily nuts together :)

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I will be honest... I cry over the love I feel and see in Savannahs. And in the people. When someone loses a precious piece of them self, I cry right along with them . I just did watching Paige's video again. The little Angels touch my emotions more than and other entity has done. I try to keep my emotions in check... But not when a Savannah is involved. We have opened a door for some very ADVANCED Feline Spirits to incarnate by creating the breed. SAVANNAH. the name is so captivating...Exotic..... primal. and PURE.
OK... I have to go find Kilifi and kiss on her a bit. :) ( hope to do the same to Azidi some day. )

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I will be honest... I cry over the love I feel and see in Savannahs. And in the people. When someone loses a precious piece of them self, I cry right along with them . I just did watching Paige's video again. The little Angels touch my emotions more than and other entity has done. I try to keep my emotions in check... But not when a Savannah is involved. We have opened a door for some very ADVANCED Feline Spirits to incarnate by creating the breed. SAVANNAH. the name is so captivating...Exotic..... primal. and PURE.
OK... I have to go find Kilifi and kiss on her a bit. :) ( hope to do the same to Azidi some day. )
I think cats in general are more intuitive than some other animals, although I have yet to meet any cat as special as Zeddie.