Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Why Raw vs Cooked?

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I was doing some thinking, and was wondering why the raw food diet is preferred over a cooked diet when feeding your cat or animal? I know that microbial count is significantly reduced when cooked, but nutrients and water content are also significantly reduced. I think in humans taste is a big factor for cooking things, and I think our stomach's flora might be much more sensitive than an animal such as a cat or dog. Freezing cooked food might also play a big factor in shelf life. Can anyone clear this up for me?

M

macmanmatty

Cat eat raw in the wild. That is what their bodies are meant to digest. The raw contains many vitamins and minerals that are not present or not in the right amounts when cooked (like calcium and taruine). Cats also eat bones which they cannot do if they are cooked they become brittle and pose a very dangerous chocking hazard. We humans once ate nothing but raw food. Then we discovered how to make fire, and started cooking some of our food. Then we did this more often until nearly all of our meat was cooked. Then through the years because of cooking out all of the bacteria and other things in the meat and vegetables our stomaches have become more and more sensitive to them. I grow alot of my own food and hunt. I am big advocate of a raw diet. I eat and drink a lot of things raw milk, garlic, onions, apples, pears, plums, cabbage, greens, squash, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, beef, rabbit, deer. The benefits are amazing and as far taste goes I LOVE a good cannibal sandwich (raw hamburger with raw garlic on top).

admin

Paige
Staff member
Cat eat raw in the wild. That is what their bodies are meant to digest. The raw contains many vitamins and minerals that are not present or not in the right amounts when cooked (like calcium and taruine). Cats also eat bones which they cannot do if they are cooked they become brittle and pose a very dangerous chocking hazard. We humans once ate nothing but raw food. Then we discovered how to make fire, and started cooking some of our food. Then we did this more often until nearly all of our meat was cooked. Then through the years because of cooking out all of the bacteria and other things in the meat and vegetables our stomaches have become more and more sensitive to them. I grow alot of my own food and hunt. I am big advocate of a raw diet. I eat and drink a lot of things raw milk, garlic, onions, apples, pears, plums, cabbage, greens, squash, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, beef, rabbit, deer. The benefits are amazing and as far taste goes I LOVE a good cannibal sandwich (raw hamburger with raw garlic on top).
I lOVE raw milk, but it is illegal in Nj and the farmer that used to deliver it to us, was shut down by the big milk producers :( I have read a lot of the benefits of eating raw meat and if I was a hunter and had fresh meat, I might give it a try...but...I will not eat raw store bought meat...

Thanks for the post Jesse!

M

macmanmatty

worms (other than intestinal and stomach) are mainly Really only a problem when you eat omnivores and carnivores. Finding them in animals that eat plants only is very very rare. trichinella spiralis used to be common in pigs but since we changed our practices of feeding pigs (no more waste food) and rats are no longer common in the feeding area it has gone down to almost zero. I can now go to certain restaurants and order american raised pork medium. But herbivores still can get intestinal worms. So, you have to be careful when buying cheap ground beef because who knows what all they throw in it. They can put in the intestines of the cow and if that cow had worms == not good.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Jesse,I usually don't eat too much red meat but when I do, medium rare is good because it isn't to tough to chew. I know most meat has to be cooked all the way through because of worms. I have never ate raw meat, my inside cats have but I guess it isn't the same as what my outside cats are eating...the outside cats get a hold of mice, chipmunks, etc. and I notice they get tape worms a lot from eating those critters and I have to get meds for them.:( I do love raw veggies and fruits and some other foods but was just wondering about some of the meats. I do know that grocery stores have cheaper meats than a meat market store. I have ate raw fish before tho...I like sushi!:) Your right about being careful when buying cheap meat...;)

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I love the human benefits of raw I'm so glad I found this because I was about to go and ask about this exact topic. My soon to be here kitten eats pure gold indigo moon (grain free holistic dry food) I saw some great reviews on it and I don't think I will change unless there is a better option. the breeder also feeds cooked chicken during the week and sometimes for breakfast. I keep seeing people talking about raw diets and I feel it would be more natural and there would still be so much more nutrients in the food. Is dry food ok? my kitten apparently doesn't like freeze dried chicken treats. they do not feed any moist food only dry and some chicken as a treat. All cooked. what adjustments would make my cat healthier what do you find is most balanced. And in a previous thread I read someone mentioned yogurt? Wouldn't dairy harm the cats digestive system? Or am I mistaken. I would only feed organic meats so I do not see an issue with salmonella considering the virus salmonella and e-Coli is a direct result of feeding animals improper diets and stomachs creating this bacteria because it cannot properly digest the corn they are being fed. (Cows for example) they live in cramped conditions basically standing in their own poo, and you cannot wash the meat that thoroughly in a warehouse. Has Anyone seen food inc? Best example I have seen since my obsession with genetically modified foods began in high school. can I share my eggs I eat only farm fresh non bleached eggs. And I have my own secrets to how I get raw goat and cow milk. I make some pretty darn good tatziki ;)

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
we take multivitamins in this day ad age because we don't eat our vitamins like we should. I want my lil one to be able to eat their vitamins naturally without having to take a supplement.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Or maybe just skip it all and go straight for the lasagna Garfield style

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I think you just need to watch his water intake with eating dry only. They don't drink much on their own, and can develop kidney problems from lack of moisture. This happened to my first DSH, poor girl. The vet never told us why she had kidney failure (and we weren't very bright) so we kept Tiger on dry, horrible (Whiskas, blech) food until I got Zeddie and did more research.