Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Why Savannah's?

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
If someone asked you to say in one sentence why you chose a Savannah what would you say?
Ok.. Maybe a few sentences ;) Lord knows I have trouble saying anything in one sentence!

I am trying to make the life changing decision to get a Savannah or not and want as much advice and opinions as possible! I've read a TON on this forum but wanted to ask myself.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
If someone asked you to say in one sentence why you chose a Savannah what would you say?
Ok.. Maybe a few sentences ;) Lord knows I have trouble saying anything in one sentence!

I am trying to make the life changing decision to get a Savannah or not and want as much advice and opinions as possible! I've read a TON on this forum but wanted to ask myself.
If you want a peice of the wild, a savannah is for you!:big grin:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
More than one sentence, sorry.
Sum total: Savannahs are fun, loving little balls of energy who will make you laugh more than you have ever laughed before, will play with your friend's dogs and your friend's kids, and will generally upend your home in a really entertaining way.
We bought our first savannah because I wanted a puppy and my husband said no (new home, new furniture, long work hours, etc.). Neither of us had ever had a cat before. Michael found SV's and suggested a SV kitten or two as a compromise. We now have 3. We bought D for personality- he was marketed as having a dog-like personality, affectionate, good with kids, friendly and outgoing. He is as billed, only better. He has never met a human he doesn't think should be his new BFF and there is nothing he won't tolerate from the silly humans. We bought Jarvis because if one SV is good, 2 has to be better right? He is very different from D, much more cautious and more stubborn, but at the end of the day a big ball of spots who wants nothing more than to play, eat, cuddle, sleep, and start again. He was marketed as silly and quirky and he is. We bought our 3d because if 2 is fun, how much MORE fun will 3 be? Oh and we were drinking. Kitten + alcohol = cc charge. Our F4 baby Mickey is the our cuddle monster. He LOVES LOVES LOVES his humans, and he will demand cuddle time at the top of his lungs, and he loves his playtime with the aforementioned humans, and he loves his brothers.
I'm allergic to an enzyme in cat's saliva (found this out AFTER THE FACT), and he and my F4 boy mickey are both bathed on a bi-weekly basis. No scratching, not biting, no trying to get away. I am most allergic to our F4 mickey and least allergic to our F3 Jarvis, and I was REALLY allergic to our DSH foster kitten LeeLoo. Not sure why there is such a disparity in my body's reactions.
They are friendly, quirky, stubborn, smart, funny little balls of energy. I love mine to pieces. I wouldn't trade them for all the puppies in the world.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
@NikkiA I thoroughly enjoyed reading that! I love my two kitties and schnauzer to death and can't imagine how much fun a Savannah addition would be! I've decided I will own a SV at some point in my life and there's no doubt about it. I'm just very impatient and want to get one like.. tomorrow.. haha But I can't and won't. My boyfriend and I will be moving into our new house soon so I am thinking once I get the current animals adjusted we can consider it. Also my boyfriend has Nov-Jan off work so that would be great kitten acquainting time! Your kitties sound amazing! Thanks for the response :big grin:

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Amazing personality.

For arguments sake, get to know the folks on this forum. Read the posts. Although these are somewhat expensive cats, you will discover a large amount of multiple savannah homes. That says it all.

Quote you, "can't imagine how much fun a Savannah addition would be." Change the word addition to addiction.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
What drew me to Savannahs was the serval heritage...I am a freak about African animals. After my initial draw I came here and learned everything else...and then Zeddie stole my heart:in love:
I can't imagine not having a Savannah...plus she fits into my African theme (African Grey, Savannah...)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Owning a savannah has some practical advantages:
1. weight loss from the constant stealing of your food;
2. cardiovascular health from running around putting the house back together;
3. if you are materialistic, a SV will change your outlook about valuable objects;
4. you'll have more hours in the day to be productive when you're awoken in the wee hours by having a toy dropped on your head;
5. an increase in coordination and dance technique as you try to walk with a cat attached to your ankle while holding your valuables or food above your head for safekeeping.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would say (and did just recently giving a newspaper interview): I chose a Savannah for their elegant good looks but also for their energetic and interactive personality that makes them a wonderful companion animal for me and my home :)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Who wouldn't want a spotted tornado that steals keys, socks, tools, eats lamps, serval pounces on you at midnight, stampedes with the grace of hippos on land at 3am and turns on faucets?!? I mean, duh!

PS as I have said before, what is better than one crazy cat? Two crazy cats!