Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Will my chemo affect my cat?

I have done some research on this, but have been unable to find a conclusive answer...

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and will be starting chemo soon. What I'm concerned about is the chemo drugs being released through perspiration on my skin. Xumi loves to lick me when snuggling. I could probably avoid her doing much of it while I'm awake, but she loves to snuggle at night. I have been awakened by that rough tongue on a few occasions in the past.

This battle will be hard enough without being able to have her close by. Has anyone here been in this situation?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have done some research on this, but have been unable to find a conclusive answer...

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and will be starting chemo soon. What I'm concerned about is the chemo drugs being released through perspiration on my skin. Xumi loves to lick me when snuggling. I could probably avoid her doing much of it while I'm awake, but she loves to snuggle at night. I have been awakened by that rough tongue on a few occasions in the past.

This battle will be hard enough without being able to have her close by. Has anyone here been in this situation?
It never even occurred to me when I was receiving chemo that it could be passed on to my cats - we all survived so I guess it wasn't an issue. Having said that, every chemo agent is different so best to ask your Oncologist if there might be a problem with Xumi licking your skin while receiving chemo.

Best of luck to you!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Very good advice to ask your oncologist.
I do not know of any warning being put on the professional literature to guard against this.
Theoretically, if that could occur, if would be in an agent that is highly water soluble and lipophobic for it to show up in significant quantities in the sweat.
Good luck and wishing for the best outcome.

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat

My wife just finished her chemo last Thursday, her oncologist said that we didn't have to worry about the grand kids being around ( youngest granddaughter loves to give her Nana kisses) however he did say to make sure that she washed her hands after touching the chemo pills . Good luck with your treatments

Last edited:

admin

Paige
Staff member
Susan, you probably will not get a definitive answer...I would ask the nurses and oncologist, but perhaps for the first 24 hours after chemo, I would not let the cats lick me. Chemo drugs can be excreted throughout he skin and of course, urine, but I am not sure the skin excretion is substantial...

I am sorry to hear this and wish you the best - our thoughts and prayers are with you!!! Please let us know if we can help in anyway!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think maybe finding out about being able to be around small children is the best indicator of any danger, as suggested above. I'm pretty sure they'd not have any data on safety with pets...
When they have data on the drugs being excreted through skin, I wonder if those studies have any sort of estimate of what proportion of the dose?

I very much hope your chemo is tolerated well and WORKS! Best wishes and prayers!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Susan, best wishes for a speedy recovery and let's hope that Xumi can safely give you kisses to help you mend.