Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Window screen climber.... HELP

MM3

Site Supporter
All of a sudden kitty has discovered climbing window screens because they can get you HIGHER!
Now what ? Any suggestions or experience with this topic ?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Sorry I cannot think of anything else. Maybe some of the ladies here can. I don't have the problem because I never have my windows open. I really wasn't trying to be a smart A--. :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Sorry - no help here either. I did replace the screens in windows in front of all the cat stands with animal proof ones. I doubt that they are truly Savannah-proof but they are a whole lot thicker and stronger than regular screens.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
No, I know of nothing to keep cats from climbing screens. Clipped nails help somewhat....be aware if your screening or the frame is not very sturdy, they can rip it or knock it open while scaling the screens....

MM3

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! Appreciate everyone's time and info! At night windows are open about 1 1/2 inches. No danger of climbing or pushing out the screen. During the day I will open them up wider, since I am a helicopter mom and I know where she is every minute. I will definitely check on the heavier screens. Kitty's nails are due to be clipped also.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Pam, unless you want to use something like a squirt bottle there is not much to deter them from climbing. Replacing the screening with pet-proof screening is a PIA but is more secure. I have actually used security door screen panels to cover one of my sliding screen doors and would do more doors and windows but I can't find it anywhere anymore...

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We installed plantation shutters.
The breeze still gets in, but little Mickey can't remove the screen from the window or shred it to get to the birds.

MM3

Site Supporter
Ahhhhhh....we took down and sold our plantation shutters 6 months before kitty arrived.