Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter coat?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Do Savannahs develop a winter coat? Rafiki will be 2 in February. She kept her sleek coat all winter last year. This year, she looks much more shaggy, especially the ridge along her back. She does now have access to the catio that she did not have last winter and it has been dropping down into the low 40's in the early hours of the morning. Could that cause a change in fur? It only became noticeable a couple of weeks ago.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Do Savannahs develop a winter coat? Rafiki will be 2 in February. She kept her sleek coat all winter last year. This year, she looks much more shaggy, especially the ridge along her back. She does now have access to the catio that she did not have last winter and it has been dropping down into the low 40's in the early hours of the morning. Could that cause a change in fur? It only became noticeable a couple of weeks ago.

It could be Linda - I do know that savannahs who live outside in pens develop a winter coat.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think you are exactly right - her exposure to the winter elements this year has triggered her to grow a bit of a winter coat :up:

Kristin

Animal Communicator
My kids are both shedding right now. Zeddie really doesn't shed much, but Jimmy has a whole different texture to his coat, and when he walks away I am covered! She has a course coat and he is soft

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Her coat is still soft as velvet but it is now shaggy velvet. It is weird in that the ridge along her back and the base of her tail is now always puffed a bit, even when she is completely relaxed and using me as furniture.

She is also now sporting a nice bruise above her eye. Not sure what she ran into or fell off of.....just when you start admiring the athletic abilities, they do something so utterly less than graceful. It is not affecting her eye and does not seem sore to the touch so I will just keep an eye on it.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
& Mojos servant made fun of me "Servals are from the hot zone they don't have winters".... ha ha I'm right! I'm right! Oh sorry...hee hee tri smug:

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Eddie is FUZZY! Mojo didn't but it's ok ...I have officially closed the Cat Pen; 27* & Eddie was OUT THERE catching flakes, lol.