Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

would i be a suitable owner?

hello, i have been resurching for a while now and would really love to be an owner of a savannah cat. There is just one thing that is stopping me as i'm concerned i wont beable to offer enought time with it.

This is my scenario, can you please tell me honistly if i should get one of these cats.

on getting the kitten i would have no issue with taking 2 weeks off work to bond with it,while it settles in at home.

After that i would have to go back to work and during the day,

- leave for work at 8am to 12:30pm,
- then i will be back to have 1 hour to spend time with it, over lunch
- then back to work until 1:30 - 5:30pm. this will happen monday, tues, thurs, friday. All day wed i will be working at home and be home at the weekends.

would this amount of time be ok to spend or does it need someone at home all the time?

In terms of providing toys, space etc this would not be a problem, i would buy anything to keep it entertained i would also beable to keep an eye on it via cctv from work.

i would like an honist opinion as i don't want to get one if this is not going to suitable as its not fair on the cat. You opinions would be much appreciated.

The other option is to buy 2.....would this still be ok due to my working commitments.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sounds to me like you would be a great owner! That time period is not really all that long to be away from your kitten...and yes, you could always get two LOL!

many people leave for eight hours at a time...the two week quarantine and bonding is critical, IMO...then you can work out the rest...now if you said you would be gone for 16 hours a day, I would probably answer differently.

The fact that you cared enough to post here and ask gives you kudo points :) Be sure to ask anything else you are thinking about or questioning...we will help you...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Sounds like you would make a fantastic owner! I'm a pretty firm believer that cats need full time companions as well, so a second kitten is always welcome, savannah or not.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think you sound like you are a responsible person... I would think it would work just fine, especially if you were prepared to get another if needed. Not all cats need a companion kitty, some even need to be only kitties, but if alone much of the day it may well be a good idea :)

Sounds to me like you would be a great owner! That time period is not really all that long to be away from your kitten...and yes, you could always get two LOL!

many people leave for eight hours at a time...the two week quarantine and bonding is critical, IMO...then you can work out the rest...now if you said you would be gone for 16 hours a day, I would probably answer differently.

The fact that you cared enough to post here and ask gives you kudo points :) Be sure to ask anything else you are thinking about or questioning...we will help you...

thank you for the reply, i was really worried that it was not enough time to be spending with this type of cat. The only other concern is the tray training, and making sure its not going to be weeing all over the house :(, as i have had cats before but not a house cat...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Helfinger….kudos for doing your homework. I left my first SV kitten home along when I worked a typical 8 hr. day and he was perfectly fine. I did get him a companion within 6 months though.

Most cats already come litter box trained. After your kitten is out of the 2 wk quarantine and has grown enough to be left alone with full run of the house, it would be wise to have 2 litter boxes. Sometimes when they are new to the house, or get involved in play, they can forget where the litter box is and have an accident or two. With the proper sized box in the right locations with a litter the cat likes, you should have no problems at all.

I kept each of my kittens in my home office after quarantine until I was sure they could handle themselves with the bigger cats and that the kittens were completely familiar with the house and locations of the litter boxes.

My first baby, Juba, spent his first day out of quarantine exploring the house and playing and at the end of the day he got "lost" in the kitchen. I was watching TV and heard him chirping and thought he was just playing until the chirping became desperate. He was only 10' away from me but couldn't see over the breakfast bar so I had to rescue him. It was so cute. Anyway, I decided that he needed to be let loose in the house only under supervision for a few more weeks until he didn't need a map to navigate anymore.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
WW-I kept each of my kittens in my home office after quarantine until I was sure they could handle themselves with the bigger cats- I bring Eddie out after I get home, I'm not comfortable with the size difference in Mojo, Tigger & Eddie so Eddie spends part of his day in the bedroom still.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome and glad to see you asking questions.

Your work schedule is better than mine, especially working close enough to home to spend lunch with your prospective kitten or kittens.

As others have said, two is great, though one can be fine with enough stuff to hold their interest.