Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Wow - "Dangerous Bengal Cats"

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Quoting from the article: “It would be like trying to domesticate one of our local bobcats. They still have the mentality of a wild animal,” Balliet said.

Does Balliet have children? Maybe they should be taken to a shelter or nature preserve because they may "still have the mentality of a hairless ape".

It is sad when so called journalists fail to investigate these things to find out what is actually going on and instead present a single, uninformed viewpoint.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
UPDATE: (yes, I am picking on the news organization) They did go on to interview a breeder and get a more reasoned response and plenty more information, but only after just tossing the original short article up and on the air in typical "hurry for the sensational scoop" "let's get ratings" mentality.

Can you tell I despise what passes for journalism and news these days?

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, this is about as bad as it gets when it comes to terrible journalism. It's so obviously sensationalist that it makes me question the integrity of the news station. Good thing they retracted it.

The couple that adopted the bengals can be blamed as well. Oh you adopted a pet and it bit you? Surprise. Let's throw it in the basement because that will fix the problem. The couple probably saw a pretty cat for adoption and didn't bother to do any research. It was a Bengal up for adoption, it obviously had some behavior problems. They probably wanted a fluff ball to just sit in the corner.

Also, why did the news agency interview a vet technician? It's nothing at all like domesticating a Bob Cat because you don't go out in the woods and catch a Bengal cat to try to keep it as your pet. The reporters probably knocked on the neighbors' door and said, "Hi there is a wild cat on the loose your neighbors let escape, are you worried about the safety of your kids?" This looks to me like a small rural town where there isn't a whole lot of local news to report on. People are stupid.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Any animal that isn't socialized with people can have a feral personality.....that happened to me when I purchased a F1 savannah kitten 5 yrs ago....the breeder didn't socialize them and I got bit 2 times..it was only 3 months old...so I'm going to be very careful on my next one! I was wondering about the price of these cats too, why Bengals range from 600.00 to 2000.00 and savannahs are WAY over that. Savannahs are a serval hybrid and bengals are asian leapard cat hybrid, it seems no difference!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
They did a followup interview with a Bengal breeder that was very astute. I think, Dianne, is that Serval hybrids (Savannahs at the F1 and F2 gen) are far more social and much easier to be pets than the F1 Bengals. F1 and F2 Bengals are hard to housetrain and socialize. They just aren't as popular. That is what I can see but it is a guess on my part. Most Bengals are in the SBT level now being sold as pets (F4- F8-9-10 etc). They are a more "developed" breed than the Savannah. Bengals are still very popular. I have only known one person ever to own an F2 Bengal as a pet but many many F2 Savannah pet owners.
Does anyone know how much an F1/F2 Bengal sells for? Maybe there are equally that expensive?

admin

Paige
Staff member
They did a followup interview with a Bengal breeder that was very astute. I think, Dianne, is that Serval hybrids (Savannahs at the F1 and F2 gen) are far more social and much easier to be pets than the F1 Bengals. F1 and F2 Bengals are hard to housetrain and socialize. They just aren't as popular. That is what I can see but it is a guess on my part. Most Bengals are in the SBT level now being sold as pets (F4- F8-9-10 etc). They are a more "developed" breed than the Savannah. Bengals are still very popular. I have only known one person ever to own an F2 Bengal as a pet but many many F2 Savannah pet owners.
Does anyone know how much an F1/F2 Bengal sells for? Maybe there are equally that expensive?

There are not many F1/F2 Bengals around, I don't think. I have been working with Bengal Rescue on something and they do not have much experience with the EG Bengals...