Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wowza, cat food bill just went up 25%, need wet alternatives

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Hey ya'll,

I write in a bit of sticker shock as a 2 1/2 month supply of wet food has now risen in price by almost 25% in the last 6 months for my local suppliers of Weruva. Dropping $750 and having to use another $30 in gas is definitely a red flag.

I can get this down by special deals and being a repeat customer, but to me more than $200 a month is definitely "out of bounds" to avoiding looking at alternatives. My felines are 14lb, 12lb, and 8lb and in prime health but they each go through 10oz, 10oz, and 15oz a day respectively. At some point a new variety and voting with my wallet is the way forward, as long as it's not at their expense. :)

So, Evo, Wellness are two wet brands I am familiar with. I'm looking for holistic, human grade, grain free canned that's not $2/ea for a 5.5oz.

It may be that the wet cat food "tax" compared to dogs is more now, will never go away, etc. If I can get back to $1.50/ea or around 25c/oz then that would be pretty remarkable.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Evo 95% 13.2 oz cans seem the way to go! And auto ship too which will cut the bill in half. That's way more reasonable. Weruva is just every cent as expensive as I can get locally 1/4th of a mile away from the house or through my contact. So much for brand loyalty, they just drove me away!

What is done is done, this is my last batch of Weruva and it's time to mix in Evo 95% so they are used to it should they become finicky eaters.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Evo 95% 13.2 oz cans seem the way to go! And auto ship too which will cut the bill in half. That's way more reasonable. Weruva is just every cent as expensive as I can get locally 1/4th of a mile away from the house or through my contact. So much for brand loyalty, they just drove me away!

What is done is done, this is my last batch of Weruva and it's time to mix in Evo 95% so they are used to it should they become finicky eaters.

Mine will not eat Evo...and they stopped eating weruva also...so now on natural balance catatouille and whatever else they will eat...also on raw rabbit as well as raw kitten mix by blue ridge beef...

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I anticipate no problems, they devour anything I place in front of them. Isis did snub a bowl of food when I covered her wet food in a light dusting of dry food. I flipped everything like a pancake and she ate the whole bowl. Just to be safe, though get a variety of cans of Evo and experiment which they really like.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I found this canned stuff called "Wild Callings" but it is canned dog food. What blew me away is that it is all meat, organ and vit and min. This got me thinking, but I haven't done research, can we feed this to our cats and just add Taurine? It comes in pheasant, rabbit, wild boar, duck! I usually buy a variety if Merrick, but this stuff was priced the same and IMO getting alot more for your buck. Esp. Since it doesn't have veggies in it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I found this canned stuff called "Wild Callings" but it is canned dog food. What blew me away is that it is all meat, organ and vit and min. This got me thinking, but I haven't done research, can we feed this to our cats and just add Taurine? It comes in pheasant, rabbit, wild boar, duck! I usually buy a variety if Merrick, but this stuff was priced the same and IMO getting alot more for your buck. Esp. Since it doesn't have veggies in it.

Angie, they actually have cat food as well...http://wildcalling.com/#!/products/