Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Yahoo News article on Savannahs

l.i.t

Site Supporter
Has anyone read this Yahoo News article submitted by Melissa Breyers with Mother News Network? http://shine.yahoo.com/author-blog-posts/house-cats-bred-wild-animals-sell-35-000-142500274.html

I am vehemently angry right now......the amount of misinformation in this article is astounding. Why don't they bother to interview some people who OWN savannahs? Oh wait...because it would detract from their 'sensationlist' story.

Sorry....I'm just so upset about this kind of fodder.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I made a comment and I'm proud that I didn't use any foul language. It was hard not to pepper my response with a four-letter work beginning with "f" and ending with "k".

Here's my comment:
This article is full of inaccurate information and written in the typical sensational style designed to attract people vulnerable to drama. Seriously, before you pass judgement, do your homework. For instance, look up servals and read about their lifestyle. The only way they'd be able to eat a gazelle is if you shot it for them. Melissa, shame on you, for misrepresenting hybrids and preying on vulnerable people. Choose facts, not ignorance.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Well said!
I made a comment and I'm proud that I didn't use any foul language. It was hard not to pepper my response with a four-letter work beginning with "f" and ending with "k".

Here's my comment:
This article is full of inaccurate information and written in the typical sensational style designed to attract people vulnerable to drama. Seriously, before you pass judgement, do your homework. For instance, look up servals and read about their lifestyle. The only way they'd be able to eat a gazelle is if you shot it for them. Melissa, shame on you, for misrepresenting hybrids and preying on vulnerable people. Choose facts, not ignorance.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
I tried to react on a few post.
I would have been happy if i only got a few to see the truth.
But it's hopeless, they are really narrow minded.

I don't blame them, they can't help it anyway.
The difference between us and them is that they lack information and experience.

Too bad that negative information is so easily spread and it's hard to spread positive information.
For the savannah's sake.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
A thing to do might be to give as much reaction as possible on the positive posts.

People going to read the posts with the most reactions and the most popular ones.
And those people are people who like to believe what the majority thinks.

edit :

On the other hand.. it's pretty useless to waste your time on this.
The opinion of these people ain't gonna make a difference.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Savannahs are SOO wild that my boy was cleared to interact with severely disabled children, go into schools and interact with classes of students, and visit the elderly and infirm WITHOUT RESTRICTION in nursing homes. I would post that, but I am afraid there would be outcry that he should not be allowed.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
Savannahs are SOO wild that my boy was cleared to interact with severely disabled children, go into schools and interact with classes of students, and visit the elderly and infirm WITHOUT RESTRICTION in nursing homes. I would post that, but I am afraid there would be outcry that he should not be allowed.
Don't hope on it.

Your post will only get much attention if you put the savannah in a bad daylight.

l.i.t

Site Supporter
I'm sure that's why TICA accepted them as a championship breed....because they have to be in cages, urinate everywhere, and eat all the other animals at competitions *****dripping with sarcasm*****

This article particularly hit me hard because we are the new kids on the block at our house. One of our new neighbors found out we had a savannah, and they said "Oh, is that one of those WILD cats?" To which I replied "Are you kidding? He's the biggest wuss ever! He caught a ground squirrel and didn't even hurt the little thing...just watched it run around the house!" The next thing I know, all of our other neighbors are coming up to our house saying "We heard your cat is WILD, is he really WILD? We're not sure if we can have a WILD cat in the neighborhood." Forget about the fact that we live in a place with coyotes and mountain lions. A WILD savannah house cat is our real concern.

People can be so ignorant :(