Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yay! Loki will be here Friday..now what

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
So I recieved flight confirmation info today. his vet checkup was great they did a stool sample and everything. (Been dewormed twice) they like to deworm three times In a year because they use more gentle stuff. So are sending the final dose of dewormed and said give one more dose once hits 6 months. He'll be leaving Thursday night and arriving Friday at noon. Boyfriend will pick up and he is curious as to what he should bring with. Aside from the obvious ID ad reference number. I heard something mentioned about using bottled water initially? the vet appointment is on Monday and they wanted to give second round of fvrcp. It's only been 2 weeks since the first round. is that too soon? They also want to do a fecal test as well. (He just had one and I will have paperwork and health certificate showing this). wouldn't this be a pointless expense when it was just completed? my room is kitty proofed, and tonight I am turning one of my totes into a litter box. and finish gluing the scratcher. any last pieces of advice all? anything I may have missed? Pardon me I'm oozing with anticipation!

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Congrats!

to answer the 'now what?'

When the kitten arrives, open the carrier, sit back, and let the fun begin. :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What is the dewormer they are using? Gentle may well mean ineffective. I do agree though that doing another fecal test might be wasted...although the stress of shipping could well overgrow something that means it will be detected in a fecal when undetected before. The problem with standard fecal tests is that they often miss things...if the parasite is not being shed at that time. If you want to be very sure, do a fecal PCR test instead (but it is more expensive).

As long as it has been 2 weeks, it is fine to give the FVRCP and given the kitten has only had one vaccination I understand your vet's concern.

As to what your boyfriend should take to the airport, how far is the drive? I'd think maybe a little litterbox to add to his crate as he might well need a potty break... also a cleanup kit (papertowels, wet wipes) in case poor kitten has had to use the crate instead :-(

I'm sure you are beyond excited, hope all goes well on the day!

Mischief

Savannah Super Cat
Bekki, I am so happy for you. Friday will be here before you know it. The only suggestion I can give you is try to relax and get some sleep between now and then.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Congrats!

to answer the 'now what?'

When the kitten arrives, open the carrier, sit back, and let the fun begin. :)

Should he put harness on and let him walk about for a bit before going back in crate and driving home or just get I'm in the car take him home then let him out. Should he leave him be for a bit at the house so he can get used to the smells of my room before letting loose? I know some of this will be intuition. But I won't be there until night time. kinda mad that its all on him. Grr. I should call in sick lol

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
What is the dewormer they are using? Gentle may well mean ineffective. I do agree though that doing another fecal test might be wasted...although the stress of shipping could well overgrow something that means it will be detected in a fecal when undetected before. The problem with standard fecal tests is that they often miss things...if the parasite is not being shed at that time. If you want to be very sure, do a fecal PCR test instead (but it is more expensive).

As long as it has been 2 weeks, it is fine to give the FVRCP and given the kitten has only had one vaccination I understand your vet's concern.

As to what your boyfriend should take to the airport, how far is the drive? I'd think maybe a little litterbox to add to his crate as he might well need a potty break... also a cleanup kit (papertowels, wet wipes) in case poor kitten has had to use the crate instead :-(

I'm sure you are beyond excited, hope all goes well on the day!

Ok so I will say yes to second distemper. I think I'll hold off until rabies if I must do a fecal test that will be a couple weeks from now.
There will be a pee pad in the crate
and I will most definately pack a kitty cleanup pack. I planned to cook up some chicken for coaxing his breeder says its his favorite. it is only about a 20 minute drive away.

And wormers that she uses
http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Pyrantel_Pamoate_50mg_16oz/Veterinary_Wormers
http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Panacur_C_1gm/Veterinary_Wormers

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Oh sleep is gunna be hard. Think I'm going to have to dig into the melatonin I have I the cabinet lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would not mess with a harness at the airport etc... I'd simply drive him home.

When you get him home, definitely give him a bit of quiet time on his own in whatever room you have decided to start him out in. He needs to be able to chill, recover and explore in peace. After an hour or two you can go in and check and see how he's going but a lot from there is dependent on how quickly he bounces back after the shipping process. Some kittens just come out of the crate and are ready while others are quite upset and stressed by shipping and will possibly need some days to recover. It can be a lot of change for a kitten...and lots of new smells, sounds and sights and being away from all he has known in his short life...

Good luck!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Pyrantel and Panacur are standard wormers... if he's already had two treatments he should be fine...at least for the things they cover. Coccidia and Tritrich are fecal parasites that would not be covered but you would only treat for those if there was reason to think they were an issue.