Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Zara gone wild..

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
Hello! So my F2 Savannah girl Zara is being a pain in my behind! She is pissing and pooing on everything! we thought she was getting better but she 's not. Were going to be moving into a new house soon and unless I get her under control I'm being kicked to the curb! I clean her cat box regularly! So I don't understand why shes doing this! Please help!

Oh and my other f2 savannah Lily is in heat and is driving me nuts! Do I just wait it out? There only 5 months.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Sounds like hormones to me...or something else is going on...have you taken her to the vet to make sure nothing physical is going on? Are you packing and she senses something is happening?

We have several threads on this topic, so you may want to take a look at those as well...

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
We are not packing yet. No I haven't taken her to the vet. I am avoiding taking her in a car because she just flips out and gets soooo stressed
I don't thinks its physical shes being completely normal except peeing and pooing on everything but the litter box.

admin

Paige
Staff member
So perhaps it is hormones...have you tried Feliway collars and spray? And perhaps spaying soon?

If they are in heat, their hormones are going wild and they do not know what is happening to them, so they may act out in certain ways...but also, just because she is acting normal, doesn't mean she doesn't have anything physical going on.

Cats often mask illness but their discomfort shows up in other ways.

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
I have not even heard of them. What do they do? My mom doesn't want to spay them until
they have one litter apparently it mellows them out or something?

admin

Paige
Staff member
They are pheromone collars that often help with anxiety, stress, etc. Uh...I'm not sure how having a litter mellows out a cat, except for the time when they are pregnant...then they go back into heat.

And unless you are really prepared to be a breeder with all the responsibilities attached, I would think very hard about that...were your kittens purchased as breeders?

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
I want to spay them. I can't handle them in heat and if you do it at a young age it helps with the spraying. Yes, the breeder I got my babies from didn't care what I did whether i spayed them or bred them.

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah I know. I love the breeder I got mine from she was sooo nice. Thanks for all the help! My local petsmart and vet dose not carry Feliway but they said they have something similar by whiskas?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yeah I know. I love the breeder I got mine from she was sooo nice. Thanks for all the help! My local petsmart and vet dose not carry Feliway but they said they have something similar by whiskas?

I don't know about anything from whiskas...you can always order online...most Petco's and Petsmart's have them though.

as for breeding them...I'm not sure what to say...it is your right to do what you want, but it is a lot of responsibility and care...you should read the post related to Zuri's kittens that were born a week ago...

I don't know why a breeder would not care whether her kittens were sold as pets or breeders...makes no sense to me...and do you have a male to breed them to? Are you just going to have one litter and that's it?

I would think long and hard about what you are doing...you say this behavior has to stop before you move, but it probably will not until the kittens are spayed...so what will you do? IMO - none of this is fair to these kittens...