Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zuri, her C-section and Kittens

admin

Paige
Staff member
For all the people who buy savannahs to breed and think it is a walk in the park and moneymaker, really need to read about how tough breeding really is...I swear, you have to be so strong to to do this!

Zuri had two babies yesterday - 1 at 1:30 am and the other at about 5 am...Thank you Pam for being awake and helping out - and Cynthia for calling me when you woke very early in the morning...you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

No more kittens for hours and I was getting worried, even though I know sometimes there are periods where cats do not deliver for up to 12 hours later...Zuri just would not settle down and was running around all over the place, because after a few hours, she just wanted out...

I finally called my vet at 10:30 am and he told me to wait and give him a call back at 1:30...I ended up bringing Zuri in at 1:30 to determine whether there were anymore kittens...on x-ray, there were three more kittens..so next step was to use a doppler to determine fetal HR...fetal HR was only 150, kittens were in distress...could I have waited to see if she would eventually deliver? Probably...but I did not want to take a chance with her life or the lives of those three precious babies...

The C-section went well, but the kittens were not breathing...my vet and his staff worked for over 2 hours, trying to save the babies...they did CPR, used their mouths to suck all the fluids out of their lungs, rubbed and stimulated and just kept working...mind you, my vert's office does not really deal with breeders, except me, so had not done this too often...I could have taken Zuri to the Animal emergency hospital, but she was extremely stressed and getting very agitated...I did not want o move her. I also know my vet and staff well and knew they would do everything they could possibly do to save the babies...

Two of the three babies lived...RIP little baby that did not...but these babies were very weak...their HR soon picked up as did their breathing - both strong...but the babies just were limp - not moving...they were brought to me and Zuri who was still out of it and we all kept trying to stimulate them and get them moving. They were given a bit of dextrose and KMR and a warm chilly bear to warm them up...

They were still pretty limp, but I chose to take them home, rather than bring them to a specialty hospital with neonatal ICU...I did not want to leave them with strangers in an incubator and GI tube...if they could be saved, Zuri and I would do it...if not, at least they would be with their mom and me...I know it probably sounds ridiculous, but that was my thinking.

I tube fed them every couple of hours all through the night...at this point, I had not slept in 48 hours at around 4:30am, I noticed both kittens were moving around like crazy, beginning to want to suckle and crying...all things they had not done since they were born...I put a drop of karo syrup with a couple of the tube feeding. Thank you Sue Armstrong, for reminding me about the formula calculation, Clavamox calculation and support..Sue answered my calls about 4 times last night

I did not think the Mel boy (I think he is a boy) would survive...

FF to today...all kittens have gained weight, Zuri is doing much better after being in so much pain last night, the mel boy and his brother (I think) are not crying and moving and very much alive...they are real miracles...the room is almost 80 degrees (have a small room heater going, so everyone is toasty...am still tube feeding, but the two survivors are not suckling with help...I put them on a nipple and they start suckling..hopefully they will be able to do this on their own...hopefully they will survive and thrive!

Please pray for these two survivors...I did not think they would live, but we all worked very hard to save them...thank you to all my friends who called and helped and offered support...they all know who they are...thanks to my friend and neighbor Ann Okon, who ran to Petco for me and took care of Cinny, Ixas, Taj and Cisco, while I was at the vet...I was there for 7 hours...

zuri-kitten.jpg cool2-kitten.jpg kittens4.jpg mel-boy.jpg kittens3.jpg kittens2.jpg

kittens1.jpg

DChap

Site Supporter
Wow what an ordeal for you and poor Zuri! I can't even imagine Paige- God bless you! Prayers for sure for all of you. Hope you can get some rest and that Zuri and the babes stay strong. Adorable pics :in love:

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'm cheering them on and hope for the best. I certainly know they have the best care taker possible and are in great hands.

Also not sure if that little mel boy has a name heading his way but Sunshine just keeps running through my head knowing the ordeal you have both been through.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Prayers outgoing that kittens & mom fully recover. Poor Zuri -- she has been through the ringer with both deliveries (you too). The babies are adorable and I look forward to watching them grow.

Thanks Deborah! yes, Zuri is a high strung girl and could just not settle down for some reason...Ixas and Cinny were crying for her, which didn't help...but the three c-section babies were much smaller and thinner than the first two kittens born naturally, so I don't know if it mostly had something to do with that...just don't know...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow what an ordeal for you and poor Zuri! I can't even imagine Paige- God bless you! Prayers for sure for all of you. Hope you can get some rest and that Zuri and the babes stay strong. Adorable pics :in love:

Thanks Dchap! I am going to try and get sleep in between tube feedings...Zuri is doing much better today and VERY protective of these babies...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm cheering them on and hope for the best. I certainly know they have the best care taker possible and are in great hands.

Also not sure if that little mel boy has a name heading his way but Sunshine just keeps running through my head knowing the ordeal you have both been through.

Thanks John! No names yet, but Sunshine is a good one ;) I do my best...sometimes it is not enough, but this time seems it just may work...I hope so!

admin

Paige
Staff member
They are beautiful, Paige!!! I am so sorry you lost the one babe, but am so glad the c-section went well and the babies seem to be doing good :) Rocco- btw- was very slow getting going too!

Thanks Trish! Yes, losing a baby is so difficult, but at least we tried hard to save them all...it is really difficult with a c-section, because of the anesthesia, which affects the babies...I did not think they would live, as you know...they are little miracles!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I have no doubt you will do your very best, Paige, with these babies, like you did with the last litter :)

Glad everything is somewhat back to normal for you, Zuri, and her babies!

Now get some rest!