Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Horner's syndrome & deafness after ear flush

M

MK Anderson

Xumi had her ears irrigated a couple of weeks ago and came home from the procedure with Horner's syndrome and total deafness. Has anyone else been through this with their cat? How long did it take for them to recover, if at all?

I am worried about my little girl.

thats terrible! I'm so sorry to hear this.... Be careful now that she cant hear you. I had a deaf cat and we didn't know at first he was deaf(rescue told us he was not) our vet confirm that he was albino and was in fact deaf. he became so scared of us because we were starling him. I started knocking on the hardwoods to let him know we were there and knocking on the couch when he was sleep. just so you know.. I hope she recovers

How is your little Xumi doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've got her on Cerenia for the nausea, and Ciproheptadine to stimulate her appetite. So she's eating a bit more. She's getting a little more active and playful, so that's an encouraging sign. However, she's still totally deaf, and has some balance problems. Next step will be a skull MRI to see if can find out what and where the problem lies.

I really hope Xumi has a full recovery ,she is a beautiful Savannah !!! I hope you get a good vet soon and her hearing will be restored. Stress must be high . Best wishes Carl

Thank you. She will always be my beautiful girl. I do like the new vet, and the neurologist, too.

thats terrible! I'm so sorry to hear this.... Be careful now that she cant hear you. I had a deaf cat and we didn't know at first he was deaf(rescue told us he was not) our vet confirm that he was albino and was in fact deaf. he became so scared of us because we were starling him. I started knocking on the hardwoods to let him know we were there and knocking on the couch when he was sleep. just so you know.. I hope she recovers

Thanks for your kind thoughts. We are always careful to not startle her. My biggest fear has always been her getting outside somehow. That fear is obviously compounded now - she wouldn't be able to her me calling her, or a car coming, or anything. I've had nightmares about it.

How is Xumi doing?

Thanks for asking - Xumi is doing better. She's still deaf, a little bit weak, and still has some balance issues. But she is eating better, and starting to put on weight.

She had an MRI and spinal fluid tap done, and neither showed anything unusual. Had all possible bloodwork done as well, which came back fine. So while not conclusively being able to diagnose anything, at least a lot of stuff was ruled out (tumors, infections, etc.).

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Glad to hear there is some improvement and possible issues ruled out with Xumi...that has to give you hope! I am still hoping and praying her condition is temporary and she will recover from this befuddling experience!

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Wow...I just got caught up with Xumi's situation. My heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl! I sure hope and pray that given a little time, it all clears up for her. She's a very lucky girl to have you for a mom. Hang in there...you've got a lot of people sending healing thoughts your way!

Ree

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for asking - Xumi is doing better. She's still deaf, a little bit weak, and still has some balance issues. But she is eating better, and starting to put on weight.

She had an MRI and spinal fluid tap done, and neither showed anything unusual. Had all possible bloodwork done as well, which came back fine. So while not conclusively being able to diagnose anything, at least a lot of stuff was ruled out (tumors, infections, etc.).
Glad to hear that she's doing a bit better. I'm sure it's a relief to rule out some major issues yet frustrating still not having a definitive answer. Best of luck to you and Xumi! Glad she has you to be her advocate and care for her!!