Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pee pee after being spayed

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
Well, Layla was spayed last week and she is coming along very well... Once issue, she is back to peeing on the office chair and now for the first time on the couch in the living room. She did relieve her self a month ago on the office chair and the rug in front of the living room rug which I posted about. Theory was, dirty litter box (not the case) urinary traction which was negative and needed to be spayed well... She is. The whole process starts with loud meows, acting as of bored and then... Daddy I left a gift for you, go clean it while I sit here and watch you slave over my mess. What gives?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What have you been cleaning up the pee on the chair etc with?

How long had she been peeing outside the box before the spay? Is it possible she's learned a behavior that you then have to work on correcting that behavior?

Are there other animals in the house?

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
No other pets yet, we have been cleaning the spots with enzyme cleaner. She peed twice before her surgery, now twice after her surgery. This has been a strange week for me and Lisa work wise and we have been really busy and have not played with her as much.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Which enzyme cleaner? Store-bought ones sometimes just aren't up to the task... Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator are better quality ones but you have to get them online.

Sometimes, especially furniture, you really have to work to get the odor out too... I think on the Anti Icky Poo website they sell an injection kit so you can get the enzyme cleaner under carpet and I've used it to get into the sofa cushions before too...

D

DocMac

Which enzyme cleaner? Store-bought ones sometimes just aren't up to the task... Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator are better quality ones but you have to get them online.

Sometimes, especially furniture, you really have to work to get the odor out too... I think on the Anti Icky Poo website they sell an injection kit so you can get the enzyme cleaner under carpet and I've used it to get into the sofa cushions before too...
I did not know about the injectable! Great to know, B!

S

shelby

One thing to consider..you said she was just spayed. It is very possible that the peeing issue was coming because she was an intact female. Some do mark...just as a male would ...before being spayed or neutered. A female in heat will sometimes mark and if this was the case....those hormones will take a little while to calm down. Just clean the areas and give her a few weeks...I think all will be fine.

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
One thing to consider..you said she was just spayed. It is very possible that the peeing issue was coming because she was an intact female. Some do mark...just as a male would ...before being spayed or neutered. A female in heat will sometimes mark and if this was the case....those hormones will take a little while to calm down. Just clean the areas and give her a few weeks...I think all will be fine.

Thanks Shelby, she has used her litter box last night and this morning so I ll have to monitor her and see what happens.

S

shelby

Be patient and know everything will work out fine;>) Look at it this way...WHEN SHE WAS PEEING IN THOSE NO, NO PLACES ..SHE MIGHT HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REMIND YOU...IT WAS TIME TO SPAY;>) LOL