Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Problem Pee'r back at it

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'm not sure what medications you've used in the past but antidepressants have been known to help alleviate inappropriate peeing, and in my book a better option than turning him outside. I assume that he is neutered? Any chance there is a stray male or female wandering around outside getting him all worked up?

Hi Patti, just to clarify sending him to the barn would be a last resort and nothing we would take lightly. It's also not a regular barn, it's a huge facility that houses a half dozen horses, has an indoor riding facility, heated stables, office and tack room. They are great friends, have provided homes to a couple ferrel kittens my sister was unable to socialize and truly love having the cats around. Again, this is our last option and far better than the alternatives.

As for medication, we were unsuccessful in the past starting with a milder antidepressant that didn't work. When we moved on to Prozac within a couple weeks Kebu was totally lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink and we nearly lost him. It took more than a week to nurse him back to health and get the Prozac out of his system, bagging him with fluids daily and some moderate force feeding via syringe so he was getting some protein. It's been more than 5 years since that ordeal passed and something that we won't do again.

He is definitely neutered, although as a kitten he did have some stirrings before he was snipped. He is the main reason we are advocates of early neutering as he is the only cat/kitten we have had with litter box issues. We've always been able to resolve his litter box aversions, although this time it's just been so far removed (5+ years) since the last time the issue surfaced.

I am absolutely sure there are cats and dogs wandering around that are garnering his attention outdoors. We live on a city corner and there is an expansive area that he would be able to see and smell others pets. Not much I can do about that one, outside of somehow masking their sent and hoping my neighbors have spay or neutered their pets. There are definitely some indoor/outdoor cats, and although I can't say that I've noticed any strays, anyone living in a large metropolitan area would be remiss if they suggested there were none.

Please excuse the tone if any of this sounds terse. We are just desperate to find a solution for something that we believed has long since been resolved and we welcome any suggestions. We've definitely been around the block before on this matter and worked through finding a solution that has held for more than 5 years. Definitely rough and we are certainly willing to throw any remedy at the situation we haven't already tried.

On a more positive note, the vanilla on the nose Paige suggested got us through the evening without incident. We left a window open in his quarantine room so whatever scents might be wandering in were still present. Just a single evening, but a step in the right direction.

admin

Paige
Staff member
On a more positive note, the vanilla on the nose Paige suggested got us through the evening without incident. We left a window open in his quarantine room so whatever scents might be wandering in were still present. Just a single evening, but a step in the right direction.

Glad to hear something is working..hopefully it will continue...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Well, I had spoke too soon. Still encouraged, and probably should have dabbed him first thing when I got up. Definitely need to keep Chongo away from him in the interim. Although they get along, just need to get that part out of the equation and make it a separate issue.

D

Dantes

I think your problem is right in front of you - cats consider feather pillows akin to a litter box. I am not kidding, they can't seem to resist a down blanket or pillow.
LOL yeah, I got rid of my down blanket....most of the time, though, he goes (not actually on the pillow but) directly on the bed where my head would otherwise go.

and that doesn't explain the leather sofa. He goes on the spot where I sit.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If it moves, Chongo is sneak attacking it. Actually, I haven't seen any litter box attacks, and if Chongo notices him in a litter box, he'll just make sure the Big Bubbus covered his business to his satisfaction. The two of them generally get along pretty well although in 5 minute chunks. From there the big guy definitely lets Chongo know he's had enough.
Is there more than one litterbox location? Although the "big guy" may be good at telling Chongo when he's had enough, if he is often finding Chongo following him to that litterbox location he may be tired of dealing with it. Worth considering giving an alternative location to see...

Also are your litterboxes high-sided to accommodate Chongo? Wondering if with his older age he's starting to feel a little arthritic and jumping into a box is harder also...

When you had him vet checked did they look at blood values too? Wondering if thyroid issues are at play too, which are common in older cats, but also reported to cause behavioral changes...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Yes, 4 litter box locations, all large 30 gallon Sterilite storage containers with access ways through the side and no lids. Under quarantine, Kebu has two of the same litter boxes as he won't pee in the same box he has pooped in. He has always been fussy about litter boxes, three urine balls and he's off to find a different one, so 3 cleanings a day on all the litter boxes has become part of the daily routine, morning home from work and before we retire.

He did have blood work the last time he was in to the vet, about 4 months ago. We have been keeping an eye on his kidney function for a while as we did have a bout with some elevated numbers after he was ill. He's been on a lower protein diet ever since and the kidney numbers fell back in line. The vet said the elevated kidney numbers were likely a result of his illness and this last go round with blood work was the second time he proved to be in good health.

No luck today with the vanilla, and separated from the other cats. Hopefully the collars work as the check list is growing pretty thin.

Oh and never a mention of any thyroid issues and I'll need to call the vet's office to see where those numbers were on his last test. I feel a bit like I'm grasping at straws, but hopefully something turns up as a solution.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's frustrating definitely. I guess it could be dementia as someone suggested, so hard to know when we really don't know too too much about aged cat care. The sad thing is that people historically were more likely to spend money on their dog than their cat, hence less is known about the cats...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Some good news to report as we have been problem free for 48 hours. Far too much done to report on, and we need to wait another problem free day before we start backing things out. Of course some things that have been removed or added to his current environment are going to be problematic outside of his quarantine room, but far better than the alternatives.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and when we have derived what the ultimate solution was I'll follow up. Unfortunately that may be a few weeks as we really threw the kitchen sink at the problem this time, and I want to give him at least 3 days of compliance for everything we'll back out one item at a time.

A

Alice

LOL yeah, I got rid of my down blanket....most of the time, though, he goes (not actually on the pillow but) directly on the bed where my head would otherwise go.

and that doesn't explain the leather sofa. He goes on the spot where I sit.

I know how that is.... I have a Siamese mix that developed a nasty habit of peeing on the bed.... Feliway seems to help I think, long as you remember to spray.... Very upsetting for sure!! We used to have a couple down blankets covering the mattress as a sort of mattress pad. Big mistake I think.
John good luck, hope it lasts and no more pee!