Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Second kitty en route!

Shabbis

Savannah Teenager
My girlfriend is currently bringing home a 9 month old F5 to befriend our F6 5 month old.

We will see how the introduction goes tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360377028.107937.jpg

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You are going to introduce them immediately? Yikes!

Not only is that a bad idea because most contracts void a health guarantee if you don't quarantine your kitten on arrival...but think of it from the newcomer's point of view. They are being taken from their home and all that they know, and with a strange human, then put into a strange house with smells and noises they need to become accustomed to..and then there's a strange kitten also to deal with?

It could go fine, but it has much more chance of turning out disastrously, when just taking it a little slowly could make all the difference....consider letting the new arrival have a little time to themselves before doing that kitty introduction...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Congrats, Shabbis! You must mean...see how the introduction between them goes AFTER a quarantine and slow introduction period.....a minimum two week quarantine AND vet visit to be sure your new F5 is not carrying any potential illnesses or parasites that might infect your F6 :)

Remember, you as well as your F6 will be all new and different to the new arrival....best to take it slow for best results!

Shabbis

Savannah Teenager
We do have a 2nd room ready for quarantine, but he is from the same breeder as our 5 month old and the new kitty has been checked out.

Does he still need to be separated for two weeks?

Our F6 only needed one night in his safe room before all was good. We just moved as well and I have never seen a cat adjust so rapidly, it was quite amazing.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Shabbis please. You have so much to lose if something goes wrong by introducing these 2 without a quarantine period. What's the harm in trying it? Give it at least 5 days to make sure the new kitty isn't stressed by all the changes and to give it time to become comfortable in a new environment. The new cat could have a completely different personality than your F6.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, he should be quarantined and kept separate and introduced slowly. Even from the same breeder, the two cats will not know each other or remember if they had met before :)

Some cats take a while to adjust; others do not require as long a time, like your F6. And if he was the only pet in your home when he arrived (and younger than the new arrival), that makes a world of difference.....

For their sake, I recommend the quarantine room and slowwww intro......:)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I always recommend at least two weeks quarantine. If they knew each other at the breeder's they may adjust to each other quicker, but no reason to rush things and have it backfire on you. If you have a quarantine room I would use it.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
One other important point - if you put the two cats together, especially if they remember each other, they (especially the new one) may choose to bond with each other instead of with you, then you will become second choice as a companion. Much better to quarantine them so that they have time to get to know you and bond with you before they meet their new feline buddy.

S

shelby

In my HO..IF YOU WANT THESE CATS TO BE FRIENDS...DO NOT PLACE THEM TOGETHER AT FIRST. Give the new baby a chance to settle in. Remember..this fur child has just been taken away from everything it has ever known. It will be scared and your other fur child will probably not be happy to have an intruder. If done correctly it can be a beautiful thing. If done incorrectly you might have a big vet bill and two cats that will never accept each other.

Shabbis

Savannah Teenager
All is good so far tonight. New F5 kitty is in his own room... Happy, ate some food, is really into toys and playing, much more than our F6 was when we first got him.

Meanwhile our F6 was running around wondering what the new smell was, he's a very loud cat, meowing non-stop, but that doesn't seem to bother the new kitty.

My girlfriend is going to stay with the F5 tonight and I'll sleep with our F6 so he isn't too impacted by all the new excitement.