Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Trimming nails

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Does anyone else feel really bad trimming their cat's nails? I only trim Zeddie's nails if she gets too rough with them. She loves to climb her cat tree with them, instead of jumping on the platforms. Last night she got a little bit too rough when playing and scratched me, so I trimmed her nails and it was so sad! She immediately went to her tree to climb and could barely get up!

Lesley

Site Supporter
I trim ours when they are asleep. They only barely wake up. No drama. I have not noticed them having problems climbing their trees. We have open rafters in our loft and it is imperative that their claws be functional for safety. I only take the tip of the nail off, still leaving them with a usable claw but not needles.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I trim ours when they are asleep. They only barely wake up. No drama. I have not noticed them having problems climbing their trees. We have open rafters in our loft and it is imperative that their claws be functional for safety. I only take the tip of the nail off, still leaving them with a usable claw but not needles.

She doesn't love her nails trimmed...she whines and complains but basically just sits there. I feel like such a bad mommy...but I think she also exploits it. Has trouble climbing her tree, then glares at me

Lesley

Site Supporter
She could very well be playing you. They are good at that. Ours sleep really soundly ( when they finally sleep ) and barely wake up for protest or guilt trips.

MM3

Site Supporter
Triton hadnt had nails trimmed since breeder cut them last month,thought i better do it.Put him on lap got fronts done...then tried back-yea right like that was gonna happen(he also had a calming collar on) i thought the walking jacket kinda subdued him tried that,didnt work.Then i rembered a trick i read about.Clip 2-4 wooden clothes pins on neck sorta like a scruff.I didnt have clothes pins so i used Mrs CC,s hair clip that was about 3-4 in long.It worked like a charm he just laid there imobile,clip basically had no pinch to it.Try it youll like it.
Wonder I that would work instead of a donut collar after surgery? She goes in for surgery in 2weeks. Anyone have a good place to order a donut collar? Thanks

NikkiA

Site Supporter
D and Mickey will lay in my lap and purr while I do their nails. They get treats and praise after I am done.
Jarvis will lay there, and whine, but he lets me do them.
None of them have any problem climbing with their shortened nails.
D's I keep the shortest since we go outside the house to the nursing home, Jarvis is the longest (he is the most sensitive to the clippers), and Mickey is somewhere in between D's short nails and Jarvis' long nails.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She doesn't love her nails trimmed...she whines and complains but basically just sits there. I feel like such a bad mommy...but I think she also exploits it. Has trouble climbing her tree, then glares at me
I think she just needs to adjust to working a bit harder at climbing. I've never had a problem with any of my kittens scaling a tree after trimming either, although on occasion it has taken a second attempt because they have to sink their claws in deeper to get the same traction that they're used to.

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
I think she just needs to adjust to working a bit harder at climbing. I've never had a problem with any of my kittens scaling a tree after trimming either, although on occasion it has taken a second attempt because they have to sink their claws in deeper to get the same traction that they're used to.

Mine isn't a climber? Do you think he will figure it out. I have a tree about 6 ft but not interested. Is a lap lover. He's a jumper and can jump 5 ft. But he's 7 mo. Still baby? Or will explore when interested. I would love to see him race up to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Different cats have different preferences. I have the same 2-3 cats in the cat tree, and as many who prefer to be in my lap.