Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ugh Tapeworm

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Don't let the Hospital people get to you. There is no question in my mind that you are treating your babies very well. ( The fact that it upsets you so much proves that. ) Start being "judgy" on them! You, the Breeder and ALL of the folks here cannot all be wrong. It MUST be the hospital. ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Wow, what gives the vet the right to be judgmental?! If anything they are the ones at fault for not treating the issue thoroughly and completely!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
First of all I think the animal hospital vet is very judgemental on Savannah's. She really acts like Biz is a bad kitty or something and he's not. He is wiggly but he doesn't bite or scratch. I took his leash with me this time so I could help keep him on the table because he likes to explore a lot and he's curious and she literally said he needed to stay on his leash the entire time we were there. They complained about him having a mind of his own. I was really upset by the whole thing and have been less than thrilled with their sideways comments about him being "difficult." I can't imagine he's anymore difficult than a kitten. They took him to the back to pill him - which was upsetting my other vet that I use that sees cats only never takes your animal to the back without you. My cat only vet however has said SV's are known for their behavioral problems and that bothers me too. A friend of mine who IS a vet won't see SV's or bengals because they are dangerous. Maybe it's because I'm in Michigan I'm being met with all this judgement. I don't know but it's very distressing for a vet to insinuate that my house is dirty or I have raccoons living in my attic that are somehow giving my baby worms! I would think if we had fleas they would have found evidence of that. None the less I'm soraying his room down just in case. I've lived in a house that had fleas before - we had indoor/outdoor cats growing up - they jump and bite - I feel like after this long we would know about it.

My cat only vet loves both boys but unfortunately they haven't been treating the worm issue properly in my opinion - they prefer to be as non-invasive as possible and offer a lot of transdermal products - great but not as effective. Plus they are twice as much as the animal hospital for the same treatments and since we're already in over a thousand dollars on vet visits and I had taken Jengo to the animal hospital for his baby shots and nueter I thought it would be okay. And - I suppose it is but I just think they have issues with SV's. This is the same place that tried to get me to declaw Jengo - because SV's "can be unruly" and if we value our furniture we would do it. WE didn't - our furniture is fine - although paper towels and toilet paper suffer - lol!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Wow, that is really a shame. One way you can make people aware is by posting a review of the animal vet on a site like Yelp or Angie's Place. Don't you have any other options for vets in your area? Sounds like the vets there need some intensive education on Savannahs! :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Patti!

I would not be happy seeing a vet that had such a negative view of my cats. It would be hard for me to trust their judgment when they've made such assumptions about a breed of cat like that!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I'm with everyone else...it is the absolute worst facing that judgement! My vet *was* the same way. Needless to say, I've switched vets.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the tapeworm as well. Perhaps there is something the vet is missing

Trish Allearz

First of all I think the animal hospital vet is very judgemental on Savannah's. She really acts like Biz is a bad kitty or something and he's not. He is wiggly but he doesn't bite or scratch. I took his leash with me this time so I could help keep him on the table because he likes to explore a lot and he's curious and she literally said he needed to stay on his leash the entire time we were there. They complained about him having a mind of his own. I was really upset by the whole thing and have been less than thrilled with their sideways comments about him being "difficult." I can't imagine he's anymore difficult than a kitten. They took him to the back to pill him - which was upsetting my other vet that I use that sees cats only never takes your animal to the back without you. My cat only vet however has said SV's are known for their behavioral problems and that bothers me too. A friend of mine who IS a vet won't see SV's or bengals because they are dangerous. Maybe it's because I'm in Michigan I'm being met with all this judgement. I don't know but it's very distressing for a vet to insinuate that my house is dirty or I have raccoons living in my attic that are somehow giving my baby worms! I would think if we had fleas they would have found evidence of that. None the less I'm soraying his room down just in case. I've lived in a house that had fleas before - we had indoor/outdoor cats growing up - they jump and bite - I feel like after this long we would know about it.

My cat only vet loves both boys but unfortunately they haven't been treating the worm issue properly in my opinion - they prefer to be as non-invasive as possible and offer a lot of transdermal products - great but not as effective. Plus they are twice as much as the animal hospital for the same treatments and since we're already in over a thousand dollars on vet visits and I had taken Jengo to the animal hospital for his baby shots and nueter I thought it would be okay. And - I suppose it is but I just think they have issues with SV's. This is the same place that tried to get me to declaw Jengo - because SV's "can be unruly" and if we value our furniture we would do it. WE didn't - our furniture is fine - although paper towels and toilet paper suffer - lol!
And clearly-- it's time to find a new vet ;)

Coons in your attic-- that's pretty funny. They aren't very quiet fellas-- I think you'd KNOW if you had coons upstairs!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
" I took his leash with me this time so I could help keep him on the table because he likes to explore a lot and he's curious and she literally said he needed to stay on his leash the entire time we were there. They complained about him having a mind of his own."

So what? A good cat is one that cringes in the carrier and won't come out and yours is bad because he is self confident enough to explore? What a bunch of nonsense!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
"They took him to the back to pill him - which was upsetting my other vet that I use that sees cats only never takes your animal to the back without you."

I completely trained my first Himy Mandu like a dog. I brought her to a new vet and they saw her walk in on a leash. I pointed to a chair, snapped my fingers and said "up" and she jumped up on the chair and waited for me to sign her in. When they told me that owners were not allowed in the back, I warned them that they would not be able to handle my little 7 lb girl. They did not listen. A couple of minutes later, I hear her warning growl (nasty - sounded like a mountain lion) and I just waited. Then I heard the vet scream for the nurse and soon after they were yelling for me to get in there. Mandu had opened both of his arms from wrist to elbow. I politely asked if they had managed to vaccinate her and they looked at me like I had grown a 2nd head. I took her chin in my hand, looked her in the eyes and told her to sit and behave and told them to proceed. She was nice and sweet. Vets should realize that some pets become completely terrified away from their people. And yes, that was the first and last time we went there.

Sounds like you need a new vet! Your holistic vet may not be able to treat this issue but surely there is another one out there.....even if you have to drive a bit?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I would drive as far as is needed to give my babies good care. But then, I'm obsessive about my girls. Like Mr. Campbell. ;)