Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What is too much... (Food)

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I just upped Elsa's wet food from 2 ounces (measured exact) per meal (one in the morning, and one at night) to 2.25 ounces... She also has unlimited dry, but she is still begging for more... This morning she weighed in at 3lbs 13.2 ounces which is a gain of 9 ounces as of today... She is now 3 months and 5 days old and growing like a weed. This week she grew 1.25" to 11.25" long and .5 inches in height to 8.5". I want to keep her well fed, but I do not want to make the mistake and have her fat either... It is easier to never put it on than it is to take it off.

Thanks for any advice.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Feed her as much as she wants. Up the amount of food you give her until she leaves food in the bowl. She could easily be eating 3 oz. per day. Try giving her 1.5 oz wet for breakfast; 1.5 for dinner and a .5 oz for snack before bed.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Feed her as much as she wants. Up the amount of food you give her until she leaves food in the bowl. She could easily be eating 3 oz. per day. Try giving her 1.5 oz wet for breakfast; 1.5 for dinner and a .5 oz for snack before bed.

Right now she is already at 4.5 per day, 2.25 in the morning and again in the afternoon..

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Ok I misunderstood. I thought she was eating 2.25 per day. Try at least 6-6.5 oz. Everything she eats is being expended in growth and play, with growth being the important indicator. You'll probably see a steady increase in the amount she eats for the next several months.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
P.S. You didn't mention if you give her a snack before bedtime. Considering the growth spurt she's about to begin, I'd give her more wet before bed. And she just might start self-weaning from the kibble to a preference for wet.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
P.S. You didn't mention if you give her a snack before bedtime. Considering the growth spurt she's about to begin, I'd give her more wet before bed. And she just might start self-weaning from the kibble to a preference for wet.

Not really a snack per say... Sometimes she gets a (very) small amount of left over meat (steak, burger, etc) cut up very small for her. I will bring he feeding up a bit and see how she does. Thanks for the advice.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I have always aimed at 10% of body weight for daily feedings until a kitten is 6 months old. I am content to throw some food away that they don't eat, just don't want them ever being hungry.

I also like to get away from the on demand dry food as soon as possible. It's definitely helpful while you are getting dialed in but long term it can pose some issues.

Ideally, I want to end up feeding them 2-3x a day and quantities they can consume in 15 minutes. That will keep them healthy and trim into their adult years.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have always aimed at 10% of body weight for daily feedings until a kitten is 6 months old. I am content to throw some food away that they don't eat, just don't want them ever being hungry.

I also like to get away from the on demand dry food as soon as possible. It's definitely helpful while you are getting dialed in but long term it can pose some issues.

Ideally, I want to end up feeding them 2-3x a day and quantities they can consume in 15 minutes. That will keep them healthy and trim into their adult years.

That is a good way to throw the math... and that is close to what I was looking at updating her to... Thanks

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Deborah, I would feed her as much as you want. If she starts looking chunky you can consider cutting back - with her activity level it would not take much effort at all to remove excess weight.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Patti and Deborah, I give mine more when they ask me... if they got chubby then I'd have to reconsider (and my Brit doesn't get snacks for that reason) but they are a high energy cat so even as adults I think they eat more than you might expect...