Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Why Savannah Kittens Should Not Leave before 12-16 Weeks

Kiangagirl

Savannah Super Cat
I heartily agree, Paige. It is so touching to watch my F1 girl with her babies--she is very devoted to them and obviously loves them very much. I don't want to take them away from her until they are ready to leave home. I spend many hours in the nursery playing with them so they will be well socialized when they leave.

Noah's Mom

Savannah Kitten
I got Noah at 11 weeks. He seemed young, but the breeder was having a difficult time getting him to eat. He is extremely particular about "textures", whether it is with his cat litter(can't use clay or anything else that can get between his toes) or his food. All of her other Savannahs, both adults and kittens, ate dry commercial food. Noah will eat ONLY raw chicken. I think because I had researched it and was willing to take the time to prepare his diet, she let him go at that age. I also would never consider putting him on a plane. Where ever my baby was coming from, I was going to travel to get him so that I could see his siblings, parents, etc.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I got Noah at 11 weeks. He seemed young, but the breeder was having a difficult time getting him to eat. He is extremely particular about "textures", whether it is with his cat litter(can't use clay or anything else that can get between his toes) or his food. All of her other Savannahs, both adults and kittens, ate dry commercial food. Noah will eat ONLY raw chicken. I think because I had researched it and was willing to take the time to prepare his diet, she let him go at that age. I also would never consider putting him on a plane. Where ever my baby was coming from, I was going to travel to get him so that I could see his siblings, parents, etc.

Only dry food is not really the best way to feed any kitty and this has been documents scientifically...glad you were able to get Noah to eat...and to et well...and I assume you are adding the proper supplements?

Noah's Mom

Savannah Kitten
Only dry food is not really the best way to feed any kitty and this has been documents scientifically...glad you were able to get Noah to eat...and to et well...and I assume you are adding the proper supplements?

Yea, he gets livers, hearts, gizzards, and DocRoys daily supplement added to it. I offer him raw steak when we cook ribeyes, but he will only eat chicken...even tried fish, only chicken! He is so stubborn! He needs to be on a Chick Fi Le commercial with the cow, "Eat more chicken!".

sweetmelly

Savannah Super Cat
As most of you probably read, I got my girl a week ago...at the age of 8 weeks. Yes, I know that was entirely too early. It was not planned that way in the beginning, either. But, the "breeder" took them to the vet and decided they were ready to go...so I took her.

So far, so good. One of the main things I see being a "problem" is that she has tried to nurse on my male cat a couple times. And also on a really soft and furry blanket I have. Does anyone know of a way I can deter her from doing this?? :oops:

admin

Paige
Staff member
As most of you probably read, I got my girl a week ago...at the age of 8 weeks. Yes, I know that was entirely too early. It was not planned that way in the beginning, either. But, the "breeder" took them to the vet and decided they were ready to go...so I took her.

So far, so good. One of the main things I see being a "problem" is that she has tried to nurse on my male cat a couple times. And also on a really soft and furry blanket I have. Does anyone know of a way I can deter her from doing this?? :oops:

Just let her be...Ixas is 8 months old and still tries to nurse, even though he was raised here and not taken away from his mother too early.

Your kitten was taken away much too early and probably just needs the comfort...it is perfectly normal.

sweetmelly

Savannah Super Cat
Just let her be...Ixas is 8 months old and still tries to nurse, even though he was raised here and not taken away from his mother too early.

Your kitten was taken away much too early and probably just needs the comfort...it is perfectly normal.
Ok, good to know! :) Thanks Paige!! I'll tell ya, I have been very lucky with this little one so far because I continue to be amazed with how good she is doing...considering. Luckily, she is VERY confident and has balls of steel! if she were a shy and timid cat, it may be going much differently.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ok, good to know! :) Thanks Paige!! I'll tell ya, I have been very lucky with this little one so far because I continue to be amazed with how good she is doing...considering. Luckily, she is VERY confident and has balls of steel! if she were a shy and timid cat, it may be going much differently.

Glad to hear things are going well! My understanding is that many kittens/cats find comfort in nursing or sucking on blankets for some reason ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
We took our F3 boy home at 9 weeks (always thought it was 8, but just reviewed the papers). Socially he was definitely ready to go, although his tummy wasn't really ready to take on any food that he wasn't eating at the breeder. At the breeder he was eating raw and kibble, but no canned food. Not that we didn't have intent to go to a raw diet, just weren't prepared to do it so quickly. When we initially ran out of the raw and we were making the transition to canned, he didn't tolerate it well with loose stools. Not wanting to feed him kibble, we got him back on a raw diet and everything has been good.

He does still take a while to transition to any new foods if switched abruptly, but probably not any different than any kitten. As much as we try to prevent it, he does love his kibble and we give him 20% of daily intake in kibble with a puzzle feeder. Also, if he decides he doesn't like a particular food, a little sprinkle of kibble over top is enough to get him to eat it.

Not any major issues just wish we would have been dialed in a bit better on the foods we were sent packing with. Might have taken a week or two longer to make sure they would tolerate what their new home was providing them. I also think it's important for the new owner to make sure they have a healthy supply of whatever the breeder was feeding their kittens so there aren't any abrupt diet changes.

Socially, I believe it depends on the kitten. Physically, I am in line with the 12 weeks that others recommend especially when a new kitten is introduced into a multi-cat household. Breeders saying yes to their clients isn't always a good thing, and an extra month of waiting given you should expect to have a long relationship with your kitten is certainly prudent.