Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat-safe cleaning products

Rafiki

Site Supporter
FYI, from my understanding, vinegar needs to be full strength to achieve the antibacterial/antiviral benefits.
I have been using the 50/50 mixture of vinegar/water more for the grease/ick removal rather than disinfectant. I do not have a recipe at all for a disinfectant and have been using store bought.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
For general cleaning -- mopping floors and kitchen surfaces -- I fill a spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 peroxide and a splash of anti icky poo. Vinegar cuts grease; peroxide is great for removing all kinds of stains and lifting organic matter off surfaces.
Do you keep it pre-mixed or mix it as you need it? Also, what do you store it in? One of the recipes I tried with peroxide worked OK the first time but the peroxide changed because it was not in a light blocking bottle and was useless the second time around.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I keep it pre-mixed and under the sink stored in the squirt bottle. I've never had a problem with the peroxide.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I do the orange vinegar, too! Love it!
For grout, I use a baking soda/peroxide paste. Let dry and gently scrub with a brush (I used an old toothbrush). You'd have to keep cats away while cleaning, but I don't think it leaves any residue...and I was amazed at how well it worked!
Also, for that pink whatever-it-is from hard water that gets in the shower when you're too lazy to clean it regularly...cut a lemon in half and rub it in the stain. No elbow grease required.
For a shower scrub, I mix 1 part table salt to 2 parts baking soda for a safe, natural cleanser.

-Sonya
For grout, I had tried the baking soda/vinegar with so-so results. I will give it a try with peroxide.
For the pink whatever-it-is....my master bath is from the 80's and the grout on the shower always looks nasty. How long do you leave the lemon on there? Can you just rub it in and forget about it?

s&jdavis

Savannah Super Cat
For grout, I had tried the baking soda/vinegar with so-so results. I will give it a try with peroxide.
For the pink whatever-it-is....my master bath is from the 80's and the grout on the shower always looks nasty. How long do you leave the lemon on there? Can you just rub it in and forget about it?

Peroxide is a mild bleaching agent...I think is why it works better.

From my experience, the pink stuff wipes of when you rub the lemon on it. I was rinsing my hair with lemon juice one day and randomly tried it. Just wiped right off.