Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cody's Liver Count

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
Thank you very much for your input. I'm going to leave him in quarantine until after I get the test results. I just feel bad that he's been in the room for 6 weeks now. The room is 14x14 and he has a ton of toys in there. I also got him a fish tank so he has another distraction. I'm hoping I can get him a quick neuter appointment after his liver results come in and possibly leave him in quarantine until after he heals. I was going to get my other boy neutered at the same time. Thanks again for the advice!

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
So I finally got Cody's liver results back after being on antibiotics for 3 weeks and waiting a week after. I'm very happy to say that all of his counts are now in the normal range! The vet said that he was shocked that the levels rebounded to that degree. He was expecting them to be decreased but still high. In his opinion this is all behind Cody and he should now be a healthy little kitty. I'm going to get a copy of the results when I take him for his neuter on Tuesday. The unfortunate thing is Tuesday is going to be the vets last day. He is opening his own practice next month and it would be 30 min away no traffic and probably an hour with traffic. He's currently 5 min with or without traffic. So I'm going to have to make a decision.

Today is the day that the cats will finally meet each other. They have been playing on either side of the glass door for weeks now and seem very ready to meet. My 11 year old niece is very excited to come over to watch and it's all she talked about yesterday.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That is wonderful news! I hope all goes with Cody's neuter and I'm looking forward to pictures of the cats.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Fabulous news that his counts are all normal! Good luck with the introduction :)

Did your vet have a recommendation on one of the vets left at the practice maybe? It may be a case of trying out the remaining ones with the longer drive to the vet you like as the backup plan?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
So wonderful to hear that Cody's counts are back to normal! Crossing fingers that all goes well with the face-to-face kitty introductions (y)

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
So that didn't go very well. So we started off with the door cracked and they seemed ok. We then put a large screen over the entire doorway and Cooper was showing signs of agression. He was doing alright at the beginning but was hissing a little. He started hissing a little more and mixed in a few growls. He was also lunging at the screen when Cody was on the other side. The weird thing was that his body language wasn't very aggressive; ears upright and forward, tail up and curled like question mark and he even rolled onto his back to expose his belly when Cody was right on the other side of the screen. Cody doesn't seem scared at all and really just tries to get over, around or through the screen. My wife got nervous and decided to pull the plug. She now wants to wait until after they are neutered.

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
Did your vet have a recommendation on one of the vets left at the practice maybe? It may be a case of trying out the remaining ones with the longer drive to the vet you like as the backup plan?
he said he was going to put me with the remaining vet that seemed best suited. I'm glad we got Cody better before he left and didn't have to make a switch midway through. That's exactly what I was thinking with trying the others out and if it doesn't work then make the drive to him. This was the best rated vet practice in my area so I'm sure the other vets are very competent and easy to deal with.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
So that didn't go very well.
Neutering is not necessarily going to make any difference. I would keep putting them together each day exactly as you have, and continue to watch their body language and end it if it gets too aggressive. However, some growling and hissing is to be expected... the fact that Cooper's ears are forward and he actually exposed his belly are very good signs that introductions won't take too long if you are consistent and persistent.