Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Excessive Shedding?

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
If you use a furminator that often you may actually be encouraging extra growth: furminators remove both loose and growing hair, and should not be used instead of a microfibre cloth or soft brush!
I say once every few days, but its more like around once a week. I'll take a look into brushes. Either way, I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning and I will mention it.

Per Lausund

Staff member
I say once every few days, but its more like around once a week. I'll take a look into brushes. Either way, I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning and I will mention it.
Good idea. Speaking of brushing, the only thing I do with the savvies is use a microfibre cloth to clean them and remove loose hair, and a furminator once every leap year (OK, every six months if I remember), but read instructions carefully: do not use it like you would a brush, as it "eats" fur every time.

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Good idea. Speaking of brushing, the only thing I do with the savvies is use a microfibre cloth to clean them and remove loose hair, and a furminator once every leap year (OK, every six months if I remember), but read instructions carefully: do not use it like you would a brush, as it "eats" fur every time.

The reason I've been using it is because there is literally loose hair hanging off of them in small clumps if they roll around or wrestle each other. Even if I pet them in a particular direction, loose hair seems to clump at the end of the pattern that I pet them with. I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to used that often.:(

NikkiA

Site Supporter
D and Mickey both shed, Mickey turns my black shirts grey as soon as I pick him up, and D gets smaller amounts of black fur all over me. Jarvis does not shed much at all.

DocMac

Site Supporter
My males shed much more than my females. I have no theories nor explanations.

Josie
River Ridge
West Virginia