Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F2 SV Kitten Raw Diet Help

admin

Paige
Staff member
One day old quail for now...he is to small for the larger...but...that quail does not have the nutrients he needs. Also try or day chicks and cut in half for him.

Personally, i would go with raw ground whole carcass rabbit from hare today or blue ridge beef kitten mix

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kaiser891

Savannah Adult
My F3 is six months now, and I've been feeding him mostly raw chicken thighs which I grind, raw fish- smelts I buy from a good fish manger-, and the I buy 1 week old quail and hopper sized mice from RodentPro. I also have a bag of pinkies from them too.
He LOVES mice and quail. He would eat them and nothing else if he could. But, after asking the same questions you asked, I started with some raw chicken with my own additional supplements like egg yolks, taurine, vitamin b12 and e, and krill oil.. Sounds like a lot, but its really not too bad.
I would definitely recommend RodentPro, and I'm about to buy another set of mice and quail... All a size larger than got before because I think he can handle them. But you should start with the small critters and see what happens. Pinkies are really small, and my cat eats them without chewing them. The pinkies are the size of about half of your index finger. Hoppers are two to three inches, and my cat chews them for about 30 seconds before they're gone. And the one week old quail are about the size of a small fist.
Try them out... Shipping is killer, but together with the cheap prices of the mice and quail, they're less expensive than buying from the pet store.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The thing to remember is pinkie mice and hoppers and one day old quail have only cartilage and no bones, so not much nutrition at all. For a small kitten and one not used to eating whole prey, you need to start with the one day old quail as I said in an earlier post as well as one day old Chicks and pinkie mice.

This type of diet should not be his only food. He needs raw with supplements or something like Mazuri or Kitty Bloom, which I am actually having better success with. Or a high quality canned food...bottom line is he is a growing kitten and needs the proper nutrition...all cats need proper nutrition, of course, but growing kittens need more.

We have lots of info on this subject, so why not read the threads here as well?

M

MK Anderson

I was talking about the size of the feeders. For example 4wk Quail or 1day? ect.

http://www.mazuri.com/wheretobuy.aspx

I put my zip code in and its at my local pet store so I was going to go there. I know they have raw diet stuff there too so I might just get a bunch of stuff to see what he likes but everyone talks great about rodentpro so I will go with them for feeders.

I would be surprised if you can buy the supplements... It's usually the food they carry!

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
How often does everyone change up the meals? I had some really hard times to get my F4 to eat anything but chicken. Now I give him a bit of beef cubes as a treat, but his main diet is ground chicken from Feline's pride with the additional supplements. I feel like I should change it up so he doesn't get sick of the chicken, but he eats every meal I set out, and has left behind almost every other thing I've tried. Hope my question helps out other people too.

admin

Paige
Staff member
How often does everyone change up the meals? I had some really hard times to get my F4 to eat anything but chicken. Now I give him a bit of beef cubes as a treat, but his main diet is ground chicken from Feline's pride with the additional supplements. I feel like I should change it up so he doesn't get sick of the chicken, but he eats every meal I set out, and has left behind almost every other thing I've tried. Hope my question helps out other people too.

If he is easting it, I would leave him alone...he will probably get sick of it after a while - mine did...you could try some rabbit for variety...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You can also try mixing one of the other varieties of the felines pride in with the chicken mix just a little bit of the new stuff at a time and then gradually increase the new food as he begins to accept it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2