Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

First Savannah Vet/Vaccination Questions

CactusCat

Savannah Kitten
Hi all! Very soon will I be welcoming a F5 Savannah into my home and life, and I am beyond excited!

I've been doing a ton of reading and lots of preparation in order to make it a very comfortable transition for him, and I'm very confident things will go smoothly so far.

However, I do have some concerns about vet care and vaccinations. It seems a hotly debated topic about 'killed' vaccines vs 'modified-live', and even on here I can't find a definitive answer -- and more importantly, the health contract I've signed stipulates "only killed vaccines, never modified or live".

I will say that most of my online research has shown a large number of Savannah owners who have had no issues with modern 'modified-live' vaccines. The biggest issue is that there just doesn't seem to be any actual scientific research or evidence backing any of the claims -- for or against. I will say off the bat, based on the reading I've done thus far, I would have no immediate qualms about using 'modified-live' vaccines.

My main issue is that, in doing prep, I've been looking for a vet clinic and I found one that I really, really liked -- they are a cat only clinic who already have several Savannah clientele. When I visited their location, they were exceptionally friendly and answered all of my questions. The problem arose when I brought up vaccinations: they don't offer any 'killed' vaccinations (though they did mention there were some avenues in which I might be able to provide them with a specific vaccination, but I need to follow up about that again). They did offer me exactly the types of vaccinations and brand/company they use -- and also explained to me that the vaccinations they use do not include any 'adjuvants', which in their experience and research, was the cause for concern with many 'modified-live' vaccines, in that there was a increased risk for site-injection sarcomas. (I am paraphrasing here and going off memory, so I might be a bit off with exactly what they said)

Anyhow, I'm basically looking for suggestions on what to do... I haven't yet brought this up to the breeder, and I know I need to, but I don't want to do so in a way that insults or upsets them. It is their kitten first and foremost right now and I did sign the contract agreeing to their terms. As such, I am more than willing to follow it to a T and provide only 'killed' vaccines, even if that means finding a different clinic or paying a premium to get the vaccine in this clinic's hands.

That said, I also want what is absolute best for my soon to be animal friend -- and my reading has me inclined to believe that 'modified-live' might be the better option without major risks. I honestly trust both the breeder and the vet at this point, and it just sucks to have them with conflicting requirements. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can bring this topic up with the breeder tactfully and respectfully? Does anyone have any general recommendations for vaccines?

Sorry that this post is so long, and I really appreciate anyone willing to read through it and provide any assistance. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks so much for your time!

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
The message from the vet might have gotten turned around. It is killed vaccines that need more adjuvant in order to create the response to the vaccine since it is killed. Adjuvants are what is linked to injection site sarcomas. I personally use modified live for my Savannahs, from F2's to F6's and have never had more of a reaction than normal post vaccine symptoms. These would be some drowsiness, lack of appetite and just generally not quite themselves. Most don't even have this but a couple do. Usually only lasts about 24 hours and then back to normal.

Many vets do not stock killed vaccines, I know the 2 I routinely go to do not. You would most likely have to order them yourself, and usually you need to order them in a larger quantity then you could ever use before expiring. You could maybe ask the breeder if you could purchase what you need from them? You just need to keep it refrigerated which could be an issue.

admin

Paige
Staff member
There is no real science behind it, except that killed vaccines require an adjuvant to help get the immune response going and modified live do not...the adjuvant has been known to cause injection site sarcomas, but that is rare. modified live vaccines are very safe and are what I use. Perhaps let the breeder know all the issues you are having and that you would like to use the vet you really like and what do they suggest you do.

congrats on your new kitten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusCat

Savannah Kitten
Thank you both for your replies!

I suppose I'll just try mentioning that the current vet I have picked out only offers modified-live vaccines, let her know I'm okay with it, and then see what they have to say.

I just really don't want to upset them or make them think I'm unfit by suggesting something they think should never be used on a Savannah. :/

I'll post pictures as soon as I have him -- and I do have a couple kitten pictures I might be able to post sometime soon. :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The vet I use keeps killed vaccines. As you have found there are people that are adamant about both extremes...my personal opinion is that both have advantages and disadvantages.

I think the biggest issue is that your contract that you have signed requires this. So I do think bringing up your difficulty to the breeder in complying with this clause is a good thing. Find out how strongly they feel, and go from there. It may be that kittens in your kitten's line have had bad reactions to modified live vaccines, in which case this fear may be more valid.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte - if you have signed a contract agreeing to use only killed vaccines then you need to either agree to follow that or discuss with your breeder an amendment to the contract. I personally use only killed vaccines, however I have owned Savannahs who have received modified live and have never had an issue with them. You are correct in that there is no scientific studies to back the use of killed virus, the recommendation is based purely on anecdotal stories, primarily involving exotics that have had adverse reactions to the modified live virus.

CactusCat

Savannah Kitten
Thank you all for your replies! I really do appreciate it.

I'm going to go visit the vet again to see what my options are direct from them, and then I'll contact the breeder and let them know the difficulties I'm having. Perhaps they can help me get my hands on what they were using.

I'm fine with using either type, so long as it properly helps my new friend. Rereading what I've said, my worries about the breeder becoming upset with me are likely silly -- better to be safe than sorry!