Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hola!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just a quick introduction to the forums. My wife and I picked up our F3 boy a few months ago and have been totally ecstatic over how sweet he is and at the same time be such a terror. He is now 5 months old, becoming sweeter every day, never is stand offish with strangers, although the other two felines in our household wish he'd give them a tail length worth of space.

Thus far he has been on primarily a raw diet with some Royal Canin Kitten 36 for on demand food. The breeder had recommended some canned Evo kitten food to transition him into which resulted in digestive issues even at a 1/8th transition. Never getting over that hump and the breeder provided raw food approaching depletion we purchased a grinder, became Dr Google Nutritionists and settled on Dr Lisa Pierson's Raw Diet. Chongo is now weighing in at 9.5 lbs (again, 5 months), has a silky smooth coat, seems healthy and active.

I do still have concerns about something the raw diet might be missing, and our vets primary concern was that our kitten was getting enough Taurine. We have had a pretty easy time getting the extra chicken livers the recipe requires, although chicken hearts have been a lot tougher. We have been using powdered Taurine as the recipe suggests, and recently started using some beef heart to supplement the recipe while still using a reduced amount of Taurine powder.

Anyway, I'm sure there is much to learn and read here on the subject but any quick suggestions would be appreciated. We want to make sure we are providing proper nutrition to our not so little guy as well as our other cats who now have all been transitioned to a raw diet.

Thanks in advance for your response(s) and we look forward to being active in the forum.

John & Trish

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wel,come John, Trish and Chango!

You can get chicken hearts from hare-today.com...I actually just ordered some...and I do still give my kittens and cats some canned food just in case...additional Taurine is a good idea...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Taurine is something that they will just excrete if there is too much, so you can err on the side of generosity with the powdered Taurine so that you don't worry about that issue!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks much for the hare-today.com recommendation, I had come across them in my web searches and happy to have an endorsement. Also good to know that I can be a bit liberal on the taurine.

I have a feeling that none of them were all too wild about the beef heart. The pickiest of the eaters kind of wrinkled up her nose, but would eat it. Chongo on the other hand isn't ever that much interested in eating when there are bigger cats to ride and something new that Mom or Dad brought home to explore or shred. He eats well, just can't be bothered with it until the rocket engines are totally out of fuel.

Thanks much for the tips, they are greatly appreciated.