Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litterature for the catbreeder

Catburglar

Savannah Kitten
My first reaction is always to check books, if a question arises - breeding Savannah cats makes it necessary to read up a little - Since unlike my dear friend and fellow breeder from Norway, I am not a veterinarian. Therefore I suggest a thread containing suggestive "must reads"!

For example: In the start I wanted to read about Savannah cats, which lead me to buy "Savannah Cats" by Jill. C Wheeler and finally "The grow your own Savannah cat manual" by Arden Morley.

These day's I am reading Robinson's "Genetics for Cat Breeders and Veterinarians" because I am sincerely interested in catgenetics.

Anyways: There are so much information out there - some good and some unecessary, this could be a nice thread to help sort out which is which for both breeders and catlovers in general!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have used the Complete Book of Cat Breeding by Dan Rice as a reference. I also use Blackwell's Five Minute Veterinary Consult for Canine and Feline as well as Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook on a routine basis.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I just saw this thread -so sorry Catburglar :(

So I have been reading the Cat Breeders handbook and The Book of the Cat....I'm thinking that pet buyers will read something like Savannahs Illustrated and other books...not sure about the breeding books though...

Am also reading Genetics for Cat Breeders and Veterinarians as I am fascinated by feline genetics.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My first reaction is always to check books, if a question arises - breeding Savannah cats makes it necessary to read up a little - Since unlike my dear friend and fellow breeder from Norway, I am not a veterinarian. Therefore I suggest a thread containing suggestive "must reads"!

For example: In the start I wanted to read about Savannah cats, which lead me to buy "Savannah Cats" by Jill. C Wheeler and finally "The grow your own Savannah cat manual" by Arden Morley.

These day's I am reading Robinson's "Genetics for Cat Breeders and Veterinarians" because I am sincerely interested in catgenetics.

Anyways: There are so much information out there - some good and some unecessary, this could be a nice thread to help sort out which is which for both breeders and catlovers in general!

I love the Jill Wheeler book ... it's simple and probably aimed mostly at children but I think the information in it is accurate for the most part (I remember a couple things I'd want to change) and of course they did use my Monkey girl on the cover which was hugely exciting to discover when it came out! Arden's book is worth reading too... there just is not a lot of Savannah-specific literature out there!

I think Robinson's Genetics is an essential reference, it can be hard going if you don't have a scientific background but worth trudging through (maybe in short stretches to make it more manageable).

The others that have now been added are all really good too...