Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Meet Fish (5m/o)

Hi everyone,

My name is JT and this is Fish, my roommate and I's new Savannah. We got her from a Veterinarian who could no longer keep her due to her dog being too aggressive. We brought her home yesterday afternoon and she seems to be doing great. She's very vocal and already loves laps and attention. I thought I'd join the site to share pictures and gain some more information on the breed. I've been trying to do research on good toys for her and have ordered a wand and a few balls w/ bells that she can chase around (trying to avoid anything too dangerous). The next step on our list is a harness to allow her to walk around outside a bit. If anyone has "beginner's suggestions" for my roommate and I, we'd greatly appreciate it. Whether it be products, care, or other tips, we are open to any and all. We're excited to give Fish a great home and also excited to be a part of the Savannah Cat Community.

Attachments

• Fish.JPG
    Fish.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 44

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hi JT. Welcome to the forum. Fish is a cutie - love the name!

I bought most of my toys from Hyendry. http://www.hyendry.com Their wands are the only ones that Rafiki has not destroyed. Also, their feather and fur toys have really strong connectors. She would snap the connectors on the wand toys from Petco in seconds and run off with the toy. My cats love anything with the guinea hen feathers and/or fur.

Rafiki also loves ping pong balls. I used to give her the small foam balls that bounce really well and are easy to fetch but she started chewing on those so I had to get rid of them. A favorite of both cats is the Ripple Rug (available on Amazon). They love pouncing on the wand when it pops up thru the holes. A really cheap cat toy is dunnage paper (those long sheets of kraft paper that some retailers use as packing material). My cats LOVE to take running leaps onto the stuff and sliding across the room.

As far as walking jackets are concerned, I buy mine from Mynwood. http://mynwoodcatjackets.com You send her the measurements and she sends the custom made jacket within 2 weeks from the UK. Other folks on this site have had good experiences with jackets from Hyendry and JoyKatz https://www.safetykatz.com The important thing with any harness or jacket is to have a very snug fit across the belly. Savannahs have small heads and if they can get an elbow under the belly strap, they can escape.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Welcome, JT and congratulations on bringing Fish home! She looks lovely and happy to be there :)

Did the vet give you information about what toys she does like? Some cats prefer feathers on strings and others little mousies...things like that. Hyendry makes some good sturdy wand toys, I also like the classic Da Bird from Go Cat and also their Cat Catcher (which is a little mousie on a wire that makes some cats go crazy). it's best when getting wand toys to make sure the ends are replaceable as things like feathers obviously won't last long!

Rafiki has a good point about watching for chewing balls, so be careful with the balls that have bells to be sure she isn't too rough on them.

Hyendry make a good walking jacket, the webbing harnesses you see in pet stores are more for dogs no matter what they label them as. Cats are wriggly creatures and need a nice wide band velcroed around their midriff firmly, if they can get their elbows back under the harness they are out in a split second. Was Fish trained to wear a harness before? Otherwise it might take some time for her to adapt... and it isn't certain she will enjoy walks, not all cats do (including not all Savannahs). Good luck!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Welcome JT and Fish! Whatever toys you get just make sure they are sturdy, and I would advise putting all toys away when you are unable to supervise Fish - you can never be too careful! Depending on how much room you have (and how much loose change) a cat wheel is usually a good investment and seems to be pretty addictive for many cats once they get the hang of it.

I have always bought my walking jackets from Neta at SafetyKatz but it looks like somone new has taken over the business, so not sure how well made they are now. Nevertheless they are worth looking into: https://www.safetykatz.com/

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and insightful responses. Unfortunately the vet did not give us much information on the toys she likes, but she seems to love balls and catnip. She is showing a lot of affection and eating A LOT. It's hard to keep the food bowl full sometimes.