Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Messy eating

EJKumba24

Savannah Super Cat
Is it just my baby that does this ? Ive tried all kinds of bowls flat ones big ones he just grabs a moth full throws it and eats it off the ground. Ideas, suggestions, similar stories ! Lol thanks !!!
d2d068ce85158adce26ac8a8d88c92f1.jpg
b3e731528f10d6557dfc3f71d3de9827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I feed whole prey so you can imagine what it looks like when a cat does the same with a rat, quail, or chicken. Carnage, lol. The easiest way to solve your dilemma is to feed him enough for 1 meal at a time on a flat dish or a pan with very low sides. If that doesn't work, just put it on the floor. But for sure I would get rid of that feeder mainly because keeping food available all day messes with a cat's digestive processes and may lead to obesity and secondly, you'd have less of a mess to clean up.

EJKumba24

Savannah Super Cat
I feed whole prey so you can imagine what it looks like when a cat does the same with a rat, quail, or chicken. Carnage, lol. The easiest way to solve your dilemma is to feed him enough for 1 meal at a time on a flat dish or a pan with very low sides. If that doesn't work, just put it on the floor. But for sure I would get rid of that feeder mainly because keeping food available all day messes with a cat's digestive processes and may lead to obesity and secondly, you'd have less of a mess to clean up.

Hahaha omg I can imagine!!! Thank you !

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are several different anti-gorge bowls that will slow down a cat and may help keep him concentrated on eating rather than on making a mess. However, if that doesn't work I would suggest placing the food bowl in a larger tupperware type container, e.g. an under-the-bed storage container (with low sides) so that when he strews the food it is still contained.

Shaun Roach

Savannah Super Cat
Is it just my baby that does this ? Ive tried all kinds of bowls flat ones big ones he just grabs a moth full throws it and eats it off the ground. Ideas, suggestions, similar stories ! Lol thanks !!!
d2d068ce85158adce26ac8a8d88c92f1.jpg
b3e731528f10d6557dfc3f71d3de9827.jpg

My F3 Magnus takes a big mouthful of his dry food and shakes his head some kibble goes flying every couple of day got to clean it up lol. Not sure why he eats like this maybe the serval genes like eating dead prey and ripping meat off the bone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EJKumba24

Savannah Super Cat
My F3 Magnus takes a big mouthful of his dry food and shakes his head some kibble goes flying every couple of day got to clean it up lol. Not sure why he eats like this maybe the serval genes like eating dead prey and ripping meat off the bone?

Omg Kumba does the same thing grabs a mouth full walks a mile with it all falling out of his mouth and lets it all go when he's gotten to a spot he likes. I've learned to live with it lol ! I agree must be genes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rob1984

Savannah Super Cat

my cat does the head shake with the dry food as well

Shaun Roach

Savannah Super Cat

IMG_0355.JPG As you can see from the photo I went to Walmart and bought 2 boot trays. One is for the food and it pretty well contains all the dry kibble that they throw from theirs mouths when eating. The other tray is for one of their water dishes. They love playing in it so I had to put it in a litter box gorilla tape it to the boot tray and no more mess. Boot trays are heavy and on top of a map the cats can’t move them. My Savannah’s are 7 months old it took awhile to get the set up right but now it’s all good hope this helps lol

Rafiki

Site Supporter

Maybe trying to break the neck of the prey.....in this case, kibble?! :ROFLMAO: