Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Mika sick after spaying

MadMike3691

Savannah Super Cat
Mika was spayed and chipped last Monday the 11th. She seemed ok when I took her home, considering what she went through. She took Onsior for her first three days home and seemed to tolerate it fine. The fourth or fifth day I noticed she had thrown up. This was the first time I have seen her throw up. She has thrown up nearly 5 or 6 days in a row since. She seems to have no appetite and his not eaten much food in the past few days, although she will eagerly eat the Purina Tuna snacks she likes. She also periodically motions her mouth as if she has just eaten something or has something stuck in her teeth. (Maybe a bad taste from an upset stomach?) I took her to the Vet last night and they poked and probed her. The Vet said everything seemed normal but gave her a shot to help with the nausea and some fluid under the skin. I didn't see any signs of vomit yet today but as we know, they're not always easy to find. She really hasn't eaten much today. A little nibble here and there maybe. I layed out several different foods for her but none have kept her eating, just some nibbles. I haven't played much with her because of the surgery so I'm not too sure of her activity level. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Mike

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I tend to worry.....but you did take her to the vet so just keep a very close eye on her.

Were you given pills to help with the nausea as well?

Most cats cannot resist human baby food. Beechnut or Gerber chicken or turkey with just meat and water as the ingredients. The juice from a can of tuna often works to stimulate appetite as well. When my baby was dealing with nausea from liver issues, I found that she really liked eating from my fingers and I can still get to eat this way.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would be worried as well. What does that mean, they poked and probed? Did they actually do any tests?

Has she been having normal stools? If not, she may have an ileus or bowel obstruction. If they gave her fluid under the skin that means she is dehydrated so I would try to get her to take more fluid (the juice from a tuna can is a good idea), you might even have to syringe her water. If she is dehydrated she is more likely to become constipated which can complicate matters as well.

How does her incision look? Is it clean without redness, hardness, or swelling? Has she had any type of discharge, either from the incision or vaginally?

MadMike3691

Savannah Super Cat
I would be worried as well. What does that mean, they poked and probed? Did they actually do any tests?

Has she been having normal stools? If not, she may have an ileus or bowel obstruction. If they gave her fluid under the skin that means she is dehydrated so I would try to get her to take more fluid (the juice from a tuna can is a good idea), you might even have to syringe her water. If she is dehydrated she is more likely to become constipated which can complicate matters as well.

How does her incision look? Is it clean without redness, hardness, or swelling? Has she had any type of discharge, either from the incision or vaginally?

They felt around her stomach to check for adhesions. Checked her temperature. Checked her teeth and gums. Looked under her tongue. They said she didn't appear dehydrated but said the fluid injections would not be a bad idea even though there were no obvious signs of dehydration. No blood work. Stools seem normal, I believe she did skip one day. Consistency seems unchanged. Incision looks OK. No discharge, a little larger than I expected though. She did eat *some* Fancy Feast that my girlfriend brought over tonight but that is not her regular food. We did some playing tonight and she seemed fine although it was nothing extreme. (My choice) Her behavior seems normal. Still saw no vomit tonight.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Mike if she will eat Fancy feast, give that to her. Right now she needs to eat, so whatever she will take will work. As Rafi ki said, baby food with no spices, such as chicken, turkey or beef is good as well. I'm surprised they did no bloodwork to make sure she doesn't have an infection brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk