Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Questions?

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
I have an F3 male Savannah named Zeus. He is 13 months old and 11.5 lbs. I am hoping he will get to 18 lbs. Why that number I do not know. I am frustrated because I cant train him to do any commands like my Bengals I had for 13 years.

Things like sit, lay down, up, shake, high 5, beg. Also he has to be on a leash or he will run away. I see videos on you tube of Savannahs that know commands and follow their owner. He has a wild side more of a F1 and F2 I think, even though he gets scared of certain noises and shadows. He is very socialiized and lets most people pet him. Also my cat only jumps 3 ft and I see Savannahs jump 8 ft. Is he too young still?

1. Is my cat trainable as far as commands?.. not worried about him being able to follow me. I dont trust him to.

2. I heard the next 2 yrs he will fill out but is he going to get much heavier?

3. Will he jump high eventually, is 13 months to young for him to jump high?

http://www.imagecoast.com/images/xenazen/zeuscollage2a.jpg

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Most cats are trainable, some are just not as interested in performing for the humans as others are. I think if you figure out what will motivate him (e.g., favorite treat or toy) you might get a better response from him.

There's no way of knowing how heavy a cat will get, and weight is probably the poorest form of measurement to gauge a Savannah's size. Savannahs are supposed to be tall and lean, e.g., the basketball players of the cat world. I'm afraid an 18lb Savannah may end up being a football player instead.

Some Savannahs love to jump high, others are just not that motivated. It is very individual. I had one owner who worked for months with his kitten and was finally able to get him to just about six feet.

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
Most cats are trainable, some are just not as interested in performing for the humans as others are. I think if you figure out what will motivate him (e.g., favorite treat or toy) you might get a better response from him.

There's no way of knowing how heavy a cat will get, and weight is probably the poorest form of measurement to gauge a Savannah's size. Savannahs are supposed to be tall and lean, e.g., the basketball players of the cat world. I'm afraid an 18lb Savannah may end up being a football player instead.

Some Savannahs love to jump high, others are just not that motivated. It is very individual. I had one owner who worked for months with his kitten and was finally able to get him to just about six feet.

Thanks!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have an F3 male Savannah named Zeus. He is 13 months old and 11.5 lbs. I am hoping he will get to 18 lbs. Why that number I do not know. I am frustrated because I cant train him to do any commands like my Bengals I had for 13 years.

Things like sit, lay down, up, shake, high 5, beg. Also he has to be on a leash or he will run away. I see videos on you tube of Savannahs that know commands and follow their owner. He has a wild side more of a F1 and F2 I think, even though he gets scared of certain noises and shadows. He is very socialiized and lets most people pet him. Also my cat only jumps 3 ft and I see Savannahs jump 8 ft. Is he too young still?

1. Is my cat trainable as far as commands?.. not worried about him being able to follow me. I dont trust him to.

2. I heard the next 2 yrs he will fill out but is he going to get much heavier?

3. Will he jump high eventually, is 13 months to young for him to jump high?

http://www.imagecoast.com/images/xenazen/zeuscollage2a.jpg
What do you mean by "wild side" of F1 and F2? I don't find early generation Savannahs wild in terms of feral behavior. I find them intense and determined on getting their own way, is that what you are talking about?

I don't believe any SMART cat can be off leash to prevent run away. Much like dogs. When I got my beagle people said how beagles were dumb as they didn't follow commands like goldens did. Ummmm... beagles are very very smart, they've worked out that there is no reason to follow such commands blindly. They THINK and there has to be a reason for them to follow your command. My beagle is very well-trained, he recalls at the dog park and most find that amazing for his breed, but it was a matter of realizing he didn't blindly follow orders. Cats are very similar.

1. Your Savannah is trainable, but you need to consider what commands you are expecting him to obey. On a leash seems safer, he's going to "run away" if he sees something interesting. He has HUGE curiosity and a drive to find out what it is.

2. He will get heavier but I think your wish of a 18lb cat from 11.5lbs at a year old expects an obese cat.

3. If he doesn't jump high now, I would suspect he's not going to. My kittens sail through the air insanely by ~6 weeks of age. Some cats seem to be ground hunters and some like to leap high... it seems your Zeus prefers the ground...

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks yes I guess I mean stubborn I. I meant eventually 18 lbs at 3-4 yrs. Hes not fully grown. Maybe 15 lbs then. I guess ill have to see. He actually was more fearless when he was younger.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
He us a ground hunter and sniffs things outdoors incesantly from tree to tree just like a K9

Savannah Mama

Site Supporter
I have 2 F-3's, one is 14 pounds, the other is 16 pounds. My F-1 surpassed both of them right now. Luckily, I have spent lots of time with them. They respond to me and listen very well. So keep up the training for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emmi

Savannah Super Cat
I have an F4 SBT of 5.5 months and he is incredibly smart. He is very trainable as well, even more than most of my previous dogs. He does have a very strong will of his own, I assume that goes for all Savannahs. So far, he can sit, give low- and high five, give both paws, come on command (not always successful :LOL:) and 'play soft'. Find out what he likes, make it fun to learn things together, and most of all have a lot of patience

Can't really answer your weight question. I understood that it heavily depends on his pedigree/grand/parents as well, regardless of generation. Our Amani weighted 3.7 kg at 5 months when he was weighted at the vet.

He also did not jump high until 3 weeks ago. He jumped while playing, but since a few weeks he discovered heights and is making huge jumps, like on the fridge from sitting position on the ground

Last edited:

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
I have 2 F-3's, one is 14 pounds, the other is 16 pounds. My F-1 surpassed both of them right now. Luckily, I have spent lots of time with them. They respond to me and listen very well. So keep up the training for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So doing the math at 1 yr he is at 75 % of his total weight of 15 lbs im figuring. It is kind of confusing though for a new owner because if they grow up to three years sometimes they say four years, I just figured that he was at two-thirds of his weight but now that people are saying and I realized that's not the case that they grow the most in the first year. Thanks for the info.

I guess far as training I was busy doing other things even though he is with me 80% of his day. Maybe it isnt important. I do enjoy him. He is smart but he is very ADHD. He purrs and rubs between my legs and he loves to roughhouse but knows how to. Also because I leave his food out all the time it's hard to train and because treats doesn't mean anything the reason why is I leave his food out is because he takes a couple nibbles runs and does something else and then goes back to eat, so he doesn't eat at a set time within a few minutes when I take the food away.

I have several videos I need to load and share.
He has a custom stroller, a swing etc. He's totally spoiled.

Thanks for your responses and continued ones as well. uploadfromtaptalk1466248264270.jpg